Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,095 Members 41,179 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is this watch good for exercises?

Tip us?

Tonio78370
Old
Thanks Meter 41
With Endo the watch just reflects what your phone is registering. Endo is activated on the phone when you launch the widget on the watch.

The watch only uses its own movement capture to light up when you shake it or tap.

Envoyé depuis mon SM-N9005
Punctuation and spelling of this post are freely invented. Similarities with writing rules, ancient or current, are pure luck and unintentional.

doclloyd
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by t1mman View Post
I'm using Runtastic and it's pretty sweet. Most intended for runner tought and it doesn't have a powersaver mode, so you have to open the watch to get your info. Kind of a hassle but I'm using voice feedback also, so best of both words.

I'm using the chrono / stopwatch also for training (intervals) and it works well.

One thing, if you sweat a lot, put an sweat wristbands between the watch and my arm so that most of the sweat is taken care of.
I also use Runtastic with my watch and enjoy it a bit. Once they add low-power mode so I can glance down and see my progress without hitting the power button, I'll enjoy it a lot more.

apos1982
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hello. I am thinking of buying the SmartWatch 2, and i had a couple of questions that maybe you could answer for me.

If i want to use a Fitness app, as Runtastic or Endomondo, do i have to also have my smartphone on me? I have a Galaxy Note 3 and the truth is that i dont like to carry it with me when i go running? (if i had to have it on me, i wouldnt need a smartwatch to record my running data, i would use my smartphone)

Also, what is the internal storage of the Smartwatch 2? Can i save mp3s or other data on it?

Also, can i connect a set bluetooth headphones on it, and listen to music or recordings from it (i know it doesnt record voice) ? Again, i would like to know if i can do any of the above WITHOUT the use of my smartphone.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

AlexOB1
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by apos1982 View Post
Hello. I am thinking of buying the SmartWatch 2, and i had a couple of questions that maybe you could answer for me.

If i want to use a Fitness app, as Runtastic or Endomondo, do i have to also have my smartphone on me? I have a Galaxy Note 3 and the truth is that i dont like to carry it with me when i go running? (if i had to have it on me, i wouldnt need a smartwatch to record my running data, i would use my smartphone)

Also, what is the internal storage of the Smartwatch 2? Can i save mp3s or other data on it?

Also, can i connect a set bluetooth headphones on it, and listen to music or recordings from it (i know it doesnt record voice) ? Again, i would like to know if i can do any of the above WITHOUT the use of my smartphone.

Thanks in advance for any answers.
Basically no to your questions! Consider the smartwatch 2 as a second screen for your phone. It is not a standalone device in any way, apart from basic functions.

It isn't an mp3 player, it doesn't incorporate gps, it is simply an extension of your phone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Free mobile app
Nexus 4 running CM11 Official Nightlies | HP Tochpad running CM10 (awaiting bluetooth to install CM10.1) | HTC Desire running 4.4 Chromium's Beanstalk | Nook Simple Touch running an Android version from the dark ages

apos1982
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexOB1 View Post
Basically no to your questions! Consider the smartwatch 2 as a second screen for your phone. It is not a standalone device in any way, apart from basic functions.

It isn't an mp3 player, it doesn't incorporate gps, it is simply an extension of your phone.

Thanks for your answer Alex!

Well if that's the case, i think that the device is quite disappointing. At least as a fitness partner. Why would i buy a device to help me with my fitness routine, if i still have to carry my 500€ Note 3, and more importantly if my smartphone is really the device doing all the work?

I wsa really hoping for the watch to be able to function as a standalone fitness device, with apps as Runtastic. That's a shame...

AlexOB1
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Thanks for your answer Alex!

Well if that's the case, i think that the device is quite disappointing. At least as a fitness partner. Why would i buy a device to help me with my fitness routine, if i still have to carry my 500€ Note 3, and more importantly if my smartphone is really the device doing all the work?

I wsa really hoping for the watch to be able to function as a standalone fitness device, with apps as Runtastic. That's a shame...
Yep, that's not what the smartwatch 2 is aimed at. I think it's an amazing device, particularly with the latest update. But it isn't the device you're looking for!

Nexus 4 running CM11 Official Nightlies | HP Tochpad running CM10 (awaiting bluetooth to install CM10.1) | HTC Desire running 4.4 Chromium's Beanstalk | Nook Simple Touch running an Android version from the dark ages

killa2009
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexOB1 View Post
Yep, that's not what the smartwatch 2 is aimed at. I think it's an amazing device, particularly with the latest update. But it isn't the device you're looking for!

So what device should he and I be looking for? I want a smart watch for exercise. Can someone point me in the right place?

Sent from my TouchPad using XDA Free mobile app

apos1982
Old
(Last edited by apos1982; 21st May 2014 at 12:09 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
I did a small search and i think Motorola Motoactv is a great solution. It is quite old, but to me it seems perfect. GPS, Pedometer, built in Heart Rate monitor, Radio and an 8GB internal storage on which you can store (and listen) mp3s.

killa2009
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
I did a small search and i think Motorola Motoactv is a great solution. It is quite old, but to me it seems perfect. GPS, Pedometer, built in Heart Rate monitor, Radio and an 8GB internal storage on which you can store (and listen) mp3s.
Thanks, what about samsung gear ( the new one)

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app