Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,727,987 Members 45,899 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Soft Brick (fixable without total firmware flash?)

Tip us?

Nadious
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Soft Brick (fixable without total firmware flash?)

Brand new Note 3 owner. Just came from a Razr Maxx that I've had for quite awhile. I'm very familiar with flashing and roms... what I did not realize (and it is my fault completely for not paying attention) is that the latest KK update dropped the day I got my phone. (Like... not even a week ago.) Being a new phone, I turned it on, there was an update, I hit yes.. and took it.

Found out tonight (after the fact...) that the root method I was trying to flash using Odin must have been for the 4.3 system. So, naturally, I got a fail when trying to write: cache.img.ext4 and now the phone throws the firmware update error. So, I'm in the process of getting the correct and latest firmware to put on here to hopefully fix this.. but was just wondering:

Am I going to have to flash / wipe the entire phone to get back to 4.2.2 stock, or... is there a way that I can write the correct version of cache.img.ext4 out to this phone in download mode, without having to lose all my data and such. Not a big deal if I can't, just trying to see if there was a way that I could save some time and not be forced to setup my phone again.

This is only my third android phone... first was a Droid X (loved it), then the Razr Maxx, and now this. So, the process of using Odin and such is all new to me, but I'm pretty sure I can get this back to stock, as long as the firmware I downloaded is the right one.

Nadious
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
flashed this morning. came back up with ALL data still intact. so, just an FYI in case someone else might be wondering the same thing.