Hardware hack - ride with TrueSmart camera forward

21st May 2014, 06:29 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 8

26 posts
So I decided to scout for something that would let me ride with the TrueSmart camera facing forward. This is to capture waypoint pictures as I'm riding along my planned route using Ride with GPS. I may also use it for capturing video and whatnot - it just depends on how adventurous I'm feeling.

What got this project started was a really interesting part - a water bottle cage bracket that bolts onto the bike frame, and it happens to also fit the diameter of my handlebars - with just a bit of hand bending of the hinge to get it to open up enough to latch properly.

I coupled that with a 1" diameter rubber mounted zing ring clamp I found at Lowe's hardware store, which I then re-shaped and fit the squared off form. I knew I'd need some clearance to get the Polar watch mount high enough off of the handle bar top - to have enough spacing to pass the watch band underneath. I probably would have been fine with a 3/4" ring clamp, but I went with the largest one I could find to be safe.

The rest you can see in the photos. I added some #10 washers because I'm lazy. I figured it would take less turns to get the screws out when it came time to remove the watch. But the washers may be a PITA, so it may come down to finding hardware that's a better length next time I'm at the hardware store.

Ride with GPS just put a 'lock screen orientation' feature, which I really, really like. Unfortunately they place the landscape orientation 180 degrees out of alignment with what I need. So you betcha I'll be asking for a tweak to that setting, or will look for a customization that will force the orientation of the app at launch. (maybe an XPosed module?)

Anyway, if anyone else has a mind to do something similar, I think the water bottle clamp was $8, the ring clamp was $1.34 and the washers were $.38. So - $10 and you've got a workable solution that doesn't look too banged up.

[Oh - I've had that Polar watch mount forever, I think it's less than $10 too - so under $20 all-in would be a better estimate.]
Last edited by lphovercraft; 21st May 2014 at 06:32 AM. Reason: correction for pricing of parts.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread