Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,440 Members 50,736 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Move apps to the EXTERNAL SD card??

Tip us?

Pawprints1986
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Move apps to the EXTERNAL SD card??

Any way to truly move apps to the external SD card?

I have just recnetly learned that moving apps "to the SD card" in the settings>apps menu doesnt truly move them to the external SD card.

Why is that?

I dont have many apps yet, but it seems the apps i do have slowly get larger and larger as i use them and they save user data. (game progress for example).

Id like to know that I could at least move things that i dont care how fast they load to a truly external SD card (along with my wallpapers, ringtones, etc)

Even if theres a manual way via USB, thats cool. Just hoping someone with more than about a months worth of experience with a captivate glide (or really, i guess any phone that by default wont let you) could give some advice.

thanks!

bubor
Old
Thanks Meter 1015

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawprints1986 View Post
Any way to truly move apps to the external SD card?

I have just recnetly learned that moving apps "to the SD card" in the settings>apps menu doesnt truly move them to the external SD card.

Why is that?

I dont have many apps yet, but it seems the apps i do have slowly get larger and larger as i use them and they save user data. (game progress for example).

Id like to know that I could at least move things that i dont care how fast they load to a truly external SD card (along with my wallpapers, ringtones, etc)

Even if theres a manual way via USB, thats cool. Just hoping someone with more than about a months worth of experience with a captivate glide (or really, i guess any phone that by default wont let you) could give some advice.

thanks!
You have sd card integrated to the board, its not true sd card. You can swap internal sd to external sd, then you can use same move function to use external micro sd card as application storage.
Dont hesitate to click on thanks button.

Pawprints1986
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubor View Post
You have sd card integrated to the board, its not true sd card. You can swap internal sd to external sd, then you can use same move function to use external micro sd card as application storage.
So theres no way to just manually tell it to move there without messing up whats already on the internal storage?

Makshow
Old
Thanks Meter 34
The Android system still has no option to move app to external sd. You can copy everything from internal (built-in) sd to external and apply change-fstab.zip to make Android think that your external sd is internal and vice versa. Works on every 4.4 rom. No performance drawbacks if using class 10 sd card. Worked for me flawlessly and thanks to bubor for this great feature.
And for manually... There's an app called Link2SD. It's some sort of workaround. You make second partition on your external SD and move apps there, leaving links for Android system on your internal storage. You can find it in google market, be sure to read instructions first.

Pawprints1986
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makshow View Post
The Android system still has no option to move app to external sd. You can copy everything from internal (built-in) sd to external and apply change-fstab.zip to make Android think that your external sd is internal and vice versa. Works on every 4.4 rom. No performance drawbacks if using class 10 sd card. Worked for me flawlessly and thanks to bubor for this great feature.
And for manually... There's an app called Link2SD. It's some sort of workaround. You make second partition on your external SD and move apps there, leaving links for Android system on your internal storage. You can find it in google market, be sure to read instructions first.
I remember trying link2sd on a friends tablet recently. it recognized certain apps as moveable, but when i actually tried to move them (on an SD that i had already partitioned) it said failure every time.

But im not sure i want to switch my storage entirely. I would just like to allow, say another 4 gigs on my SD card (with the other 4 being for wallpapers, ringtones, etc). i have an 8 gig card right now.

Makshow
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Then you should try link2sd here. Basically, no other options, unless you wish to emulate Link2SD work with some scripts and move apps manually. I saw some patches for Lenovo phones to combine internal storage or something like that, but they will not work on Glide obviously.