Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,130 Members 53,912 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] White outline in pitch black images, faulty screen?

Tip us?

redline06
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] White outline in pitch black images, faulty screen?

Hey guys, I've never posted here, I mostly just lurk and try to learn things.
My question is a bit difficult to explain but I'll try my best. Do me a favor and take a photo while completely covering the camera lens, then view the photo in the gallery. Make sure youre in a dark room and viewing the photo in full screen, wait a second for the back and task manager buttons to turn off as well.
Is your picture completely black or are the outside edges and corners fuzzy and white almost?
My previous phones are Galaxy S1, 2, 3 and 4 along with the Note 3 (which I miss :/ ) never had a problem like this, I do believe some GS2s had a similar problem with the screen being spotty in black images.
thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140424_204429.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	250.9 KB
ID:	2707256  

sg3love
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by redline06 View Post
Hey guys, I've never posted here, I mostly just lurk and try to learn things.
My question is a bit difficult to explain but I'll try my best. Do me a favor and take a photo while completely covering the camera lens, then view the photo in the gallery. Make sure youre in a dark room and viewing the photo in full screen, wait a second for the back and task manager buttons to turn off as well.
Is your picture completely black or are the outside edges and corners fuzzy and white almost?
My previous phones are Galaxy S1, 2, 3 and 4 along with the Note 3 (which I miss :/ ) never had a problem like this, I do believe some GS2s had a similar problem with the screen being spotty in black images.
thanks.
Hello there, I did a test for you on mine, when i was in my room with my lights on but completely covered the lens and mine came out fuzzy. It seems that the s5 camera is very powerful picking up the slightest bit of light !

Then I turned off the lights in my room and did the same test, this time it was pitch black.

Did you try turning all your lights off in your room?
Current Phone: T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S5 in Shimmery White

redline06
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Thanks for your input, my initial test was in a room with the lights off. Looks so bad :/

kangam
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by redline06 View Post
Thanks for your input, my initial test was in a room with the lights off. Looks so bad :/
I noticed that with my camera too. The exact same thing happens to me too when I cover the camera, in both lighted and unlighted rooms. But I'm pretty sure it's normal. When your ISO is on auto, you'll notice that the camera turns up the ISO past what you can manually set it at (800). So since they're bumping up the ISO so high (probably ~1600 in dark areas), there's going to be considerable amounts of noise, even with very low light.

You can see for yourself that if you compare auto ISO and ISO 800 in a dark room, the latter will be much more pitch black like you expect it to be.