Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,846 Members 39,620 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Registry *HELP*

Tip us?

Veniceee
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Registry *HELP*

I am trying to learn the windows 8 registry on how it works and ways to modify it for future programming. Are their any books or references that can help me?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

SixSixSevenSeven
Old
Thanks Meter 323
Modify the registry for programming? I dunno if I've misunderstood you but you do not program your computer via the registry

The windows registry is simply a giant file for storing settings at the end of the day, including quite a few under the hood ones you wouldnt normally touch.

Quote:
The Windows Registry is a hierarchical database that stores configuration settings and options on Microsoft Windows operating systems. It contains settings for low-level operating system components and for applications running on the platform that have opted to use the registry. The kernel, device drivers, services, SAM, user interface and third party applications can all make use of the registry. The registry also provides a means to access counters for profiling system performance.
When first introduced with Windows 3.1, the Windows registry's primary purpose was to store configuration information for COM-based components. With the introduction of Windows 95 and Windows NT, its use was extended to tidy up the profusion of per-program INI files that had previously been used to store configuration settings for Windows programs.[1][2] It is not a requirement for a Windows application to use the Windows Registry—for example, the .NET Framework applications use XML files for configuration, while portable applications usually keep their configuration data within files in the directory/folder where the application executable resides.
^First 2 paragraphs of wikipedia.
Actually that is a good starting point for some light reading.

Microsoft also have this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986 Links in that article will also take you through to further information.

Veniceee
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSixSevenSeven View Post
Modify the registry for programming? I dunno if I've misunderstood you but you do not program your computer via the registry

The windows registry is simply a giant file for storing settings at the end of the day, including quite a few under the hood ones you wouldnt normally touch.

^First 2 paragraphs of wikipedia.
Actually that is a good starting point for some light reading.

Microsoft also have this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986 Links in that article will also take you through to further information.
I didn't mean programming from the registry lol but thank you ill look up into it

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2684
The thought of somebody who knows so little about Windows as to not even know about MSDN writing anything that touches the registry is a bit scary, but whatever, it's your machine. All the APIs to access the registry are well-documented. If you meant from a Windows Store app, though, that's forbidden (not totally impossible, but very forbidden; your app will get rejected).
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.

Veniceee
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDayToDie View Post
The thought of somebody who knows so little about Windows as to not even know about MSDN writing anything that touches the registry is a bit scary, but whatever, it's your machine. All the APIs to access the registry are well-documented. If you meant from a Windows Store app, though, that's forbidden (not totally impossible, but very forbidden; your app will get rejected).
Its actually on a virtual machine so no physical damage