Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,501 Members 40,750 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

won't power on but battery not flat, recovered after an hour charging

Tip us?

wintermute000
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 148
Default won't power on but battery not flat, recovered after an hour charging

Anyone had an issue where out of nowhere, the tablet appears bricked, won't respond to power button even held down for >30 seconds?

Mine did that and it was at around 50% battery.

I charged it anyway for around an hour and then it powered on OK (phew). The battery said 90% on poweron, so I know for a fact it wasn't flat when it 'softbricked' (as an hour will only charge the battery halfway or even less).
I was running stamina mode, not sure if its got anything to do with it.

Really hope it doesn't repeat otherwise I have to return it.... or is this software bug....

LitoNi
Old
Thanks Meter 680
i believe its volume up + power button for hard reset

and it seems like you have a faulty one... try repairing it with sony pc companion first, if the problem still persist then exchange for a new one.

SONY VAIO Z
SONY XPERIA Z
SONY XPERIA TABLET Z2

Is your Xperia having issues? Try repairing it with Sony's PC Companion or Sony's Update Service first before posting.
Remember to back up your data before proceeding and do internal wipes [factory reset under settings] as well.

Use the latest FlashTool to flash FTF files if PCC and SUS fails to recognize/repair your Xperia.
Full tutorial on how to use FlashTool.

< Please hit the Thanks Button if I helped you.

wintermute000
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 148
I figure I"ll give it at least an update first before returning it. Its otherwise a fantastic device, and this is the first trouble I've had.

FWIW it hasn't done it again, been around 48 hours now.so hoping one off.

pmeinert
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermute000 View Post
I figure I"ll give it at least an update first before returning it. Its otherwise a fantastic device, and this is the first trouble I've had.

FWIW it hasn't done it again, been around 48 hours now.so hoping one off.
I had, but as @LitoNi writes you must press power + volume up simultaneously in 10 seconds. It is written in the installation guide that came along with your tablet. I first tried the small red button next to sd-card in vain, because that is reset on my Z Ultra.

wintermute000
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeinert View Post
I had, but as @LitoNi writes you must press power + volume up simultaneously in 10 seconds. It is written in the installation guide that came along with your tablet. I first tried the small red button next to sd-card in vain, because that is reset on my Z Ultra.
OK so you had the problem as well? Has it recurred for you?

next time try charging it for an hour, might save you a hard reset

pmeinert
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermute000 View Post
OK so you had the problem as well? Has it recurred for you?

next time try charging it for an hour, might save you a hard reset
Yes, pressing power+volume up restarted.

it's a soft-reset (power cycle) not hard reset.

Hardly anything to do with battery in my case, since it was fully charged and still was after soft-reset. It just happened from one moment to the next. I was sitting with several gadget and switching between them. Since I am rooted, It could be an xposed module locking up.

I was very worried at the time, till I found the guide. I hasn't occured since.

LitoNi
Old
Thanks Meter 680
Holding down:

volume up + power button = ~1-3 seconds = 1 vibrate = reboot/hard reset

volume up + power button = ~5 seconds or more = 3 vibrate = force shut down

SONY VAIO Z
SONY XPERIA Z
SONY XPERIA TABLET Z2

Is your Xperia having issues? Try repairing it with Sony's PC Companion or Sony's Update Service first before posting.
Remember to back up your data before proceeding and do internal wipes [factory reset under settings] as well.

Use the latest FlashTool to flash FTF files if PCC and SUS fails to recognize/repair your Xperia.

pmeinert
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by LitoNi View Post
Holding down:

volume up + power button = ~1-3 seconds = 1 vibrate = reboot/hard reset

volume up + power button = ~5 seconds or more = 3 vibrate = force shut down
A hard reset restore to factory settings and clear the device. That is NOT what happens.

The installation guide only mention 10 seconds and that was a restart as far as I remember. Don't have the device with me, to test.

LitoNi
Old
Thanks Meter 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeinert View Post
A hard reset restore to factory settings and clear the device. That is NOT what happens.

The installation guide only mention 10 seconds and that was a restart as far as I remember. Don't have the device with me, to test.
just tested on my Z2 tablet, seems like sony changed how things work with V up + power

Holding down:

volume up + power button = ~1-3 seconds = 1 vibrate = reboot/hard reset no longer reboots. to force reboot: just open the flaps and click on it the little button.

volume up + power button = ~1-2 seconds or more = 3 vibrate = force shut down

SONY VAIO Z
SONY XPERIA Z
SONY XPERIA TABLET Z2

pmeinert
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by LitoNi View Post
just tested on my Z2 tablet, seems like sony changed how things work with V up + power

Holding down:

volume up + power button = ~1-3 seconds = 1 vibrate = reboot/hard reset no longer reboots. to force reboot: just open the flaps and click on it the little button.

volume up + power button = ~1-2 seconds or more = 3 vibrate = force shut down
You are right about power off. This time the little red button also did that for me. Anyhow, as long as I can reboot and enter recovery or fastboot I am fine. Then I can always wipe what I want, if factory settings and clearing the device are needed.