Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,778 Members 51,430 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Capabilities of the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9

Tip us?

John hurt
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Capabilities of the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9

Before hand, I'd like to apologize for my ignorance of not skimming through every thread here and finding the particular information I am looking for.

I do see that at the moment, the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 cannot be rooted. Now, I've never previously owned any Kindle devices or Amazon products rather, but I want to know what I could do with a rooted Kindle Fire HDX 8.9. I love reading, and have been purchasing near 80 books on Amazon for a ridiculous amount of money─so I am buying a Kindle.

I have owned and do own several Android devices, all rooted, and I know what I can do with them. Is it similar? One thing I have never bothered to look into were custom roms, what would a custom rom on a Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 do? Just change the gui?

My main question is, can I download pdfs, ebooks, MOBI (etc) files and move them to the Kindle to read them without purchasing them from the Amazon store or wherever else?

Thanks guys, appreciate it.

jimyv
Old
Thanks Meter 88
Default new unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by John hurt View Post
Before hand, I'd like to apologize for my ignorance of not skimming through every thread here and finding the particular information I am looking for.

I do see that at the moment, the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 cannot be rooted. Now, I've never previously owned any Kindle devices or Amazon products rather, but I want to know what I could do with a rooted Kindle Fire HDX 8.9. I love reading, and have been purchasing near 80 books on Amazon for a ridiculous amount of money─so I am buying a Kindle.

I have owned and do own several Android devices, all rooted, and I know what I can do with them. Is it similar? One thing I have never bothered to look into were custom roms, what would a custom rom on a Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 do? Just change the gui?

My main question is, can I download pdfs, ebooks, MOBI (etc) files and move them to the Kindle to read them without purchasing them from the Amazon store or wherever else?

Thanks guys, appreciate it.
If it is brand unit u can root it.
I just did 5 minutes ago on new 8.9 it came today. Skipped set up hit airplane mode rooted and blocked ota

John hurt
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default 1225 64825452

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimyv View Post
If it is brand unit u can root it.
I just did 5 minutes ago on new 8.9 it came today. Skipped set up hit airplane mode rooted and blocked ota
Care to elaborate? What do you mean by "brand"? And where is the thread/software I can use to root it? Tutorial preferably.

John hurt
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Care to elaborate? What do you mean by "brand"? And where is the thread/software I can use to root it? Tutorial preferably.
any help?

jimyv
Old
Thanks Meter 88
Default new

Quote:
any help?
brand new brand new units still on rootable software

icedtrip
Old
Thanks Meter 14
A brand new Kindle HDX may ship with firmware that is rootable. My HDX 7 was one of them. I don't think there is a guarantee, but when you get a new HDX and go through the setup process, do NOT connect it to a WiFi network. Once it is up, immediately turn on airplane mode and check your version of firmware. If it is rootable, root it and immediately block OTA.
The Following User Says Thank You to icedtrip For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]