Google Invites Selected Devs to Buy Project Tango Development Kit

Just about a month ago, the curious Project Tango development kit was … more

Micromax Yureka: Indian Handset with CyanogenMod

Thesoap opera involving Cyanogen Inc., OnePlus, and Micromax is one of the most talked about … more

Chainfire Turns Your Bootanimation into a Logging Center

Having a nice boot animation certainly adds a little bit of aesthetic polish to your … more

Android TV Launcher Pushed to Google Play

Over the past decade, the tech universe has seen two drastic and widely contrasting changes with … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Possible Xperia Z3 Metal Frame Leak

OP Niko of Death

21st May 2014, 12:12 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

26 posts

In addition:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone Arena

According to the photos below, this is the Xperia Z3's metal frame. It is treated with a PVD coating, which will provide a more corrosion-resistant interface, better impact resistance and resilience to scratches. It is also said to be more environmentally friendly.

The source of the photos claimed that the Xperia Z3 will ignore the QHD-trend, instead opting for a 1080p display, a beefy Snapdragon 805 CPU clocked at 2.7GHz, 3GB of RAM, and a 20.7MP main camera. This doesn't sound like too much of an upgrade over the Z2, but who knows, maybe Sony is working on something special.

21st May 2014, 02:25 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 63

210 posts
if, and that's a big IF this is legit. It could be a very thin device.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
21st May 2014, 03:58 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 7

41 posts
More
From the looks of it, it may just be the center part of the frame, not the frame itself. As with previous Xperias, the middle part of the frame gets a different treatment.
21st May 2014, 10:59 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 87

1,207 posts
I like the omni design more

Sent From My Sony Xperia Z2 D6502 White
21st May 2014, 11:07 AM   |  #5  
Flag Toulouse
Thanks Meter: 809

1,087 posts
Donate to Me
More
QHD is totally useless on screen size lower than 6". You could not see the difference between HD and QHD!! (unless you have bionic eyes )
21st May 2014, 01:37 PM   |  #6  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 266

139 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nreuge

QHD is totally useless on screen size lower than 6". You could not see the difference between HD and QHD!! (unless you have bionic eyes )

Agreed... I for one will be pleased when Sony is the only Manufacturer to run the S805 with a 1080p screen (according to the rumours). The extra performance from the S805 + Adreno 420 should be very noticeable on the 1080p Z3, whereas the QHD displays on the Samsung, HTC and LG flagships will put far more strain (75% more pixels to process) on the GPU, and could put those phones at risk of delivering a perceived decrease in performance, or in the best case scenario a tiny increase. All for a barely noticeable increase in PPI and bragging rights.

That aside, the Z3 is also rumoured to be using much improved anti-glare and reflection filters on the display as Sony's displays have always been more reflective than other manufacturers, as well as a class-leading contrast ratio for LCD displays.

Lastly, the size of these QHD panels is likely to be in the region of 5.5 inches, whereas Sony is sticking with 5.2 and is said to be reducing bezel size "significantly" and slimming the phone down. It's likely that we'll see the Z3 being the most comfortable size.

All sounds good to me.
21st May 2014, 06:47 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 21

124 posts
Don't know if I would like any slimmer phone than the Z2. Its already so thin that I can pocket it without any bulge from the thickness. Any slimmer and I would start to worry it bending. I already do sometimes. Of course the size could be smaller, but having used it for a while, some bezel is actually good, since you don't accidentally touch the screen. If it had no bezel or greatly slimmer bezels, it would cause problems imo. I have no more trouble using it one
handed than the SGS3.

I'm so glad Sony isn't jumping on the QHD wagon. Its completely useless. And I wouldn't want a larger screen.

All this aside, I'm still interested to see what Sony will come up with. TBH the frame is more like a slate of metal, it doesn't go around... Are there more pictures than the two in the article?
Last edited by SuperMarioGalaxy; 21st May 2014 at 06:50 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread