Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,115 Members 52,387 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Developer Edition or Retail Edition?
Developer 10 76.92%
Retail 3 23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

[Q] Buying Off-Contract: Dev vs Retail Edition

Tip us?

KarlStyles
Old
Thanks Meter 5
That was my guess as well, which is why I'll wait a week or two to make sure there aren't any glaring hardware issues. I'll probably contact them just to confirm though.

hEaTLoE
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 43
Are there some serious camera issues with the device? I saw a post on discolored glass, but that was it...

hEaTLoE
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 43
Also...regarding warranty?

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/su...me=ET-G900VMKA

Quote:
Samsung Galaxy SŪ 5 (Verizon), Charcoal Black Developer Edition
ET-G900VMKA
Warranty

STANDARD LIMITED WARRANTY

What is covered and for how long?

SAMSUNG TELECOMMUNICATIONS AMERICA, LLC ("SAMSUNG") warrants that SAMSUNG's handsets and accessories ("Products") are free from defects in material and workmanship under normal use and service for the period commencing upon the date of purchase by the first consumer purchaser and continuing for the following specified period of time after that date:

Phone 1 Year
Batteries 1 Year
Case/Pouch/Holster 90 Days
Other Phone Accessories 1 Year

KarlStyles
Old
Thanks Meter 5
From Samsung.com, add the phone to your cart, go to your cart, click 'guest checkout', scroll down past the developer information to the first checkbox, it reads:

"I understand and acknowledge that the device I am about to order is intended for software developers and is not intended for general consumer use. I hereby agree that this device will be covered by warranty for 30 days or until I change the original software on the device, whichever period is shorter. Thereafter, service for the device will be provided for a charge."

I had to check that box to place my order.

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

Samsung has acknowledged the camera problems though, so they might be willing to swap the device out after the 30 day period/software change if a camera issue does pop up.

"Samsung has now confirmed that it's aware of the reports and is actively trying to assist impacted customers. In a statement, a company spokesperson told The Verge, "We have learned that a limited number of Galaxy S5 devices may have an issue that causes 'Camera Failure' pop-up error message." S5 owners with a busted camera are asked to call 1-888-987-4357 to arrange an exchange under Samsung's warranty, or they can visit their respective carrier for a swap."

http://mobile.theverge.com/2014/4/25...camera-problem
The Following User Says Thank You to KarlStyles For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hEaTLoE
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 43
Welp, got the DE device in Monday and very impressed so far. Nice improvement over my Galaxy Nexus! Thanks for all the help as usual XDA.