Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,501 Members 48,096 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

chromecast + bluestacks help needed

Tip us?

nij999
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default chromecast + bluestacks help needed

Hi I posted this in the cast xbmc from computer to chromecast thread but haven't had a response so sorry for repeating it but I think there a few people who are having the same problem

I've seen youtube video's and people on hear talk about using bluestacks for xbmc and ace player but my bluestacks cant find my chromecast.

I've downloaded the chromecast app on bluestack but i get the message "no chromecast found on bluestacks" it seems it not searching my network which has two chromecast on

I've used bubbleupnp which finds my chromecast but whenever i try to cast anything nothing happens (ive used same links on my phone no problem at all)

any help would be appreciated

Thank you

cmstlist
Old
Thanks Meter 480
I think emulators have some sort of AP isolation going on that blocks the network discovery required to detect and control Chromecast. I was not able to cast from the Genymotion emulator either.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Asphyx
Old
Thanks Meter 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmstlist View Post
I think emulators have some sort of AP isolation going on that blocks the network discovery required to detect and control Chromecast. I was not able to cast from the Genymotion emulator either.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Actually I think it because Blue Stacks operates as a VM and as a result uses a VM Network not actually connected to the real network.

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 756

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx View Post
Actually I think it because Blue Stacks operates as a VM and as a result uses a VM Network not actually connected to the real network.
Yes, unless you have multiple NICs and can bridge a NIC to the VM so it can use it directly, the NAT translation usually stops anything multicast or broadcast, which is what most discovery uses.
Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! / Rootable Serial Numbers | Root Mini-FAQ | FlashCast flashing Mini-FAQ
BYO powered OTG cable | WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations | Not all 1080p/720p is same
Search Tip: Google search terms site:forum.xda-developers.com for only XDA forum results. Example
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

Asphyx
Old
Thanks Meter 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga View Post
Yes, unless you have multiple NICs and can bridge a NIC to the VM so it can use it directly, the NAT translation usually stops anything multicast or broadcast, which is what most discovery uses.
Not even sure that is possible...
There are virtually no network settings inside BluStacks and I see no additional VM Network adapter (in Windows) to bridge to any interface.
I think it is just creating it's own adapter inside the VM and there is no way to change those settings at the moment.