Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,547 Members 45,773 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Just purchased an s4... coming from an S2

Tip us?

ranjb
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Just purchased an s4... coming from an S2

Hi All

Just placed an order for a S4 with Mobile company EE to replace my S2 with the Custom Neat ROM. Feeling excited.

My S2 has served me well but time now to let go..

Quick question I had was what model is supplied for the UK Networks as I want to start looking at Rooting and ROMS for it.

Any advice would be great!.

Thanks

gsmyth
Old
Thanks Meter 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjb View Post
Hi All

Just placed an order for a S4 with Mobile company EE to replace my S2 with the Custom Neat ROM. Feeling excited.

My S2 has served me well but time now to let go..

Quick question I had was what model is supplied for the UK Networks as I want to start looking at Rooting and ROMS for it.

Any advice would be great!.

Thanks
It will be the I9505 model. Once you get it check if you're on old or new bootloader, before updating or rooting. You can boot into download mode (switch off, then hold volume down and switch on) and look for line with 'knox 0x0'. If you don't have it you will be Knox free and you can stay on it (as long as you dont update officially) and not worry about voiding Knox warranty. See the below post for more details on firmware and the Knox bootloader/software.

http://androidforums.com/internation...firmwares.html
Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505 - GoldenEye
Nexus 7 32GB WiFi 2012 - Liquid Smooth 4.4.4
The Following User Says Thank You to gsmyth For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ranjb
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Thanks for the reply

So let me get this straight theres 2 different bootloaders for this model? Will this prevent me from rooting or installing a ROM if I'm on a newer bootloader?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmyth View Post
It will be the I9505 model. Once you get it check if you're on old or new bootloader, before updating or rooting. You can boot into download mode (switch off, then hold volume down and switch on) and look for line with 'knox 0x0'. If you don't have it you will be Knox free and you can stay on it (as long as you dont update officially) and not worry about voiding Knox warranty. See the below post for more details on firmware and the Knox bootloader/software.

http://androidforums.com/internation...firmwares.html

gsmyth
Old
Thanks Meter 396
Quote:
Thanks for the reply

So let me get this straight theres 2 different bootloaders for this model? Will this prevent me from rooting or installing a ROM if I'm on a newer bootloader?
Below is some Q&A's on Knox which are worth reading up on before your S4 arrives. You can still root and install ROMs on the newer bootloader, but it will trip the Knox counter, which is currently irreversible. Worth thinking about before you do anything.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2470635

Pre-rooted stock ROM thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2250824
Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505 - GoldenEye
Nexus 7 32GB WiFi 2012 - Liquid Smooth 4.4.4
The Following User Says Thank You to gsmyth For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ranjb
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Hi

Got the phone today and when I boot into download mode it does show KNOX Kernel Lock as 0x0 and KNOX warranty avoid as 0x0. So this basically means if I ROM it it will break the KNOX?

Thanks

Repulsa
Old
(Last edited by Repulsa; 20th May 2014 at 09:50 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1888

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Hi

Got the phone today and when I boot into download mode it does show KNOX Kernel Lock as 0x0 and KNOX warranty avoid as 0x0. So this basically means if I ROM it it will break the KNOX?

Thanks
Yup if you flash any custom rom/root/ etc , This mean the knox will be triggered to 0x1 and your warranty will be void. Unless ur country is part of EU.

Quote:
That awkward moment when you're reading this comment and can't stop reading because you are so intrigued by it,that you keep reading,and then you realize it says nothing important.

Disclaimer "Proceed with extreme caution as i take no responsibility for any damages to your phone. Do it at your own Risk"

All 4.4.2 GT-I9505 Modem / LTE / Bootloader

ranjb
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
has there been any known way of not tripping this if you root?