Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,801 Members 44,498 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Upgrade from 4.1.2 to 4.3?

Tip us?

rblancrt
Old
(Last edited by rblancrt; 21st May 2014 at 07:26 PM.) Reason: Add more info
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Upgrade from 4.1.2 to 4.3?

Hello,

I haven't been here in so long. After reading through the forum I am a little confused.

I am on stock 4.1.2, rooted, and using CW recovery.

I see all the discussion about not updating to 4.3, but I'm not sure if what I have read is up to date or not.

Is there still a problem updating to 4.3? KNOX?

How should I update to 4.3? Do it need to undo root and go back to stock recovery? I'm not sure how to do this. I have used custom ROMS in the past but it's been too long.

Also, it seems that rooting 4.3 is no problem. Is this true?

Thanks,
rblancrt

pcshano
Old
(Last edited by pcshano; 21st May 2014 at 10:57 PM.)
Thanks Meter 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by rblancrt View Post
Hello,

I haven't been here in so long. After reading through the forum I am a little confused.

I am on stock 4.1.2, rooted, and using CW recovery.

I see all the discussion about not updating to 4.3, but I'm not sure if what I have read is up to date or not.

Is there still a problem updating to 4.3? KNOX?

How should I update to 4.3? Do it need to undo root and go back to stock recovery? I'm not sure how to do this. I have used custom ROMS in the past but it's been too long.

Also, it seems that rooting 4.3 is no problem. Is this true?

Thanks,
rblancrt
Sure, you can upgrade to 4.3 if you want to
the reason why people said not to upgrade to 4.3 is because a lot of people DO NOT READ and come asking for help this or that after they upgrade
and the main reason why people mention not to upgrade is because you can unlock for free as long as you can downgrade your phone to 4.1.1, mainly the bootloader since 4.3 bootloader comes with KNOX
since you're still on 4.1.2, you can downgrade and unlock your phone for free while you still can before upgrading it to 4.3

so this is what you should do, check, if your phone is fully unlocked, if not, unlock it then upgrade

or if you're rich and you don't care, just upgrade and then if you wish to unlock later, pay for unlock code =D

and rooting shouldn't be any problem regardless of which version of android you're on.
to upgrade, you can just download the stock img and flash it through recovery or just use odin flash it
or if you're prefer the old fashion way, the long way in fact, is to unroot, upgrade through system update
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 I747
Network: T-Mobile
Recovery: TWRP latest
Rom: some AOSP

mrhaley30705
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2311

DONATE TO ME
I would say don't upgrade. The new bootloader has a warranty bit (aka the Knox counter) that, once tripped, can't be reset. Ever. By anyone. The ONLY way I would even consider upgrading is if you need Knox security for work (the majority of us don't). I wouldn't even upgrade if I were selling the device. Let the new owner make that decision for themself. But, I would unlock it. Even if you never need it, it may add a few bucks to the selling price of the phone later on.

The Following User Says Thank You to mrhaley30705 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]