Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,782 Members 38,427 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Samsung Galaxy Discover - R740C - WARNING !!

Tip us?

xtreme barton
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Samsung Galaxy Discover - R740C - WARNING !!

Do not use the upgrade tool from Samsung's website as it contains T-Mobile apn settings. This will not allow your phone to connect to 3g services and mms will not function fully.

I found this out the hard way and Samsung's support is useless when trying to explain the issue !!

After hours of running around they offered to have it flashed back to stock 4.0.4 ICS but I have to send it in to Plano, TX.

If you upgrade to 4.1.2 either by OTA or Samsung's website the APN Settings under Wireless & networks no longer is available. Also no root has been discovered for this device either so there is no going in and changing APN settings.

** If there is a known working root then you can upgrade and not have any issues. APN settings can be pulled by adb and pushed at that point. But until then you have a read only file system. If you have already done so then you can pull the apn.xml file and see that it contains the wrong APN settings.

*** SAMSUNGS LIVE CHAT SUPPORT IS USELESS

xtreme barton
Old
(Last edited by xtreme barton; 9th May 2014 at 12:31 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I shall follow up and see if / when Samsung has corrected this problem..

EDIT :

No fix to the update as of yet !! Still got T-Mobile APN settings hard coded into the phone !!

xtreme barton
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Sent phone into Samsung and they have flashed a software update and updated PRL .. Waiting to get the phone back to see what software was installed. Hopefully they read the note sent in with it. I will be furious if they installed same software that messed it all up. Im counting on you Pablo the technician !!

xtreme barton
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Got phone back and they still screwed up .. jelly bean was kept but only mms portion of apn file was updated .. why in the hell internet settings werr lefy on t-mobile i have no idea .. my whole billing cycle has been wasted and CS still insist its some other reason..

So i get to send it in again and hope they get it right ...

Extremely dissatisfied and they are still pushing the update with wrong carrier settings

xtreme barton
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Suggesting i spend more time and money id unacceptable. . Imma look into small claims