Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,962 Members 40,695 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Need some help - afraid I just made a paperweight

Tip us?

XiXoXiXa
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Need some help - afraid I just made a paperweight

Last night I was trying to update to ND8 Stock rooted ROM, following these instructions: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2741413

First up, flashed the stock TAR fro here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2738533.

Several posts claimed success with mobile odin, so I gave that a shot. Everything seemed to go well, but now no matter what I do, I get the 'Samsung' flash, then nothing. No recovery, no download. It's either the Samsung logo then black, or if it's plugged in a dead battery icon (despite being plugged in overnight) and nothing.

Am I absolutely hosed?

Thank you all in advance.

roirraW "edor" ehT
Old
Thanks Meter 1335
Quote:
Originally Posted by XiXoXiXa View Post
Last night I was trying to update to ND8 Stock rooted ROM, following these instructions: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2741413

First up, flashed the stock TAR fro here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2738533.

Several posts claimed success with mobile odin, so I gave that a shot. Everything seemed to go well, but now no matter what I do, I get the 'Samsung' flash, then nothing. No recovery, no download. It's either the Samsung logo then black, or if it's plugged in a dead battery icon (despite being plugged in overnight) and nothing.

Am I absolutely hosed?

Thank you all in advance.
At least one user reported their phone was hard bricked by trying to use mobile Odin to flash the tar. I don't recall any users reporting success with it - I do recall that early on, before anyone tried it, it was said that it should work.

You would probably have to send it in to JTAG it. @tdunham, where'd you send yours again?

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII with M.O.A.R. v9.0, dkp kernel dated 3/20/2014 and TWRP v2.7.0.0.

---------- Post added at 08:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

If it's under warranty, you could also try taking it in to Sprint or Best Buy, and try claiming that you took the OTA and it left you bricked.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII with M.O.A.R. v9.0, dkp kernel dated 3/20/2014 and TWRP v2.7.0.0.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roirraW "edor" ehT For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tdunham
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 16127
If you're getting the logo, you may not have hard bricked.
I think maybe the power button is not functioning properly possibly that is causing you to not be able to access download mode. If you pull the battery and leave it out for a couple of minutes and after putting it back in, it tries to boot by itself, I think the power button is stuck. Were you having any issues with the power button sticking so far? You could always try taking the phone apart and cleaning out the power button if that is the case.
If totally dead, you would have to send it in for Jtag repair at www.mobiletechvideos.com for $50.

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

BTW, there are youtube videos on disassembling the S3 for power button repair/cleaning.
The Following User Says Thank You to tdunham For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

XiXoXiXa
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Fixed!

So after much consternation (and grief from my wife), I was resigned to send my phone in to get JTAG'd. A coworker mentioned a local shop I had never heard of, and lo and behold, with a USB jig that forced download mode, and he was able to fix the install of the original TAR.

$25, and 20 minutes later, I'm ready to continue with the stock rooted flash. Thanks to all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XiXoXiXa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

aarongillion63
Old
Thanks Meter 106

DONATE TO ME
Would a USB jig have helped? Or is that back in old S2 days?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Free mobile app

roirraW "edor" ehT
Old
Thanks Meter 1335
He said they used a USB jig.

tdunham
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 16127
If it were a hard brick a usb jig wouldn't have worked. I have one.

The Following User Says Thank You to tdunham For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]