Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,095 Members 40,814 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Snowy screen? Boots in safe mode though? Any ideas?

Tip us?

ofarrell.g1
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Snowy screen? Boots in safe mode though? Any ideas?

Hi all, non rooted S5 screen went all fuzzy, seems like a hardware issue except that it boots in safe mode... any ideas or anyone seen this before?

Thanks,
Nate

em0ney14
Old
Thanks Meter 162
Has it been dropped or wet? Have you installed any new app or updated anything before this?

Try pulling the battery, putting it back in, leaving it off. Then press and hold the volume+, home, and power button until the phone boots into recovery and do a factory reset ****CAUTION. ... YOU WILL LOSE ALL DATA THAT HAS NOT BEEN BACKED UP VIA SD CARD OR SYNCED TO YOUR SAMSUNG/GOOGLE ACCOUNT ****

hope that helps

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

ofarrell.g1
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
it was dropped but in a spigen tough armor case --- perfect condition no visable damage or anything dropped from about 2 feet --- no water damage --- cannot boot into recovery that's why I figured it was hardware however it did boot once into safe mode but I cannot replicate that ---- I'm going to go to T-Mobile after work, think they will replace it under warranty?

em0ney14
Old
Thanks Meter 162
Hard to say if it has been dropped. However with no visible damage, something is very well damaged on the inside.

It should be able resist that kind of blow though.

Have you tried to get into download mode?

ofarrell.g1
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
was just able to get into download mode --- then from there i rebooted into recovery and selected reboot... phone booted up normally but now crashed and went back to that snowy screen ---- something is fubar inside there im afraid

em0ney14
Old
Thanks Meter 162
Try to get back into recovery and factory reset if you have no other choice.

If you are near a computer you could try to backup the data on there real quick with keis or something, but I doubt it will be able to read your phone if it won't boot. Bleh

---------- Post added at 05:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 AM ----------

Goodluck I'm going to bed. Hope you have it fixed when I check in the morning.

em0ney14
Old
Thanks Meter 162
Any update @ofarrell.g1 ? Hope you got it figured out.

ofarrell.g1
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for asking... I have not gotten it into recovery again. All my data is synced so I'm not worried about that. I've been with tmobile almost 15 years so I'm going to go there after work and see if theyll just give me a new phone.

iwillkillyou
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Wow, that's scary. Those uncontrolled things that just happened. A fall caused internal damage. Hmm. I lost my galaxy S1 because of a bug. Good luck with this.

The Satanist from birth has a maturity which does not require supernatural or governmental parental figures.