Project Ara Smartphone Will Run Modified Android L with Hot Swapping

Project Ara is a very exciting topic–both for hardware and … more

Streamline Android Theme Customization with Graphic Porter

I dont have a custom theme on my Android phone, and the reason for this is because … more

Boost the Brightness of Your Sony Xperia Z1’s LED

I think the last time anyone has ever used a physical torch to find their earphones, … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: Modify the Look of Your Volume Control – XDA TV

How many screenshots have you seen with a volume status bar in the … more
Post Reply

[Q] adb shell access

19th May 2014, 12:16 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
Hi guys,

I'm new here and this is my first thread, so I hope I've chosen the correct section for my issue.

I have a sony ericsson xperia x10 mini pro and wanted to gain root access. I managed it so far and made some manipulations within the /system/ directory and due to some mental black-out I made a 'chmod 700 /system/' which now causes my device to fail on each boot. Also just connecting my phone with a computer gives the output of the white sony ericsson label followed by a rebooting, without showing the battary loading screen.
Using adb I have only a few seconds of access to the device and I wanted to change the rights of /system/ to some reasonable values. Unfortunately running 'adb shell' gives:

- exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: Permission denied (13) -

so I downloaded adb plus some other stuff following this description android.serverbox.ch/?p=1217. I replaced each and every occurance of /system/bin/sh to /bin/sh in order to call a different shell which I might have read access but still the same error as above occurs, also stating /system/bin/sh instead of /bin/sh.

Does somebody of you have an idea on how I can gain access and change the permissions or how I can completely reset the phone?

Thanks and cheers
19th May 2014, 02:51 PM   |  #2  
demkantor's Avatar
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Flag mpls
Thanks Meter: 2,799
 
5,837 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
More
I'm not familiar with Sony devices but most OEMS have some way of flashing stock firmware/software to the device such as with fastboot or a flash tool. If Sony has such method and has a package specific to your device this would probably be the best way.
Otherwise I assume you were rooted or you wouldn't have been able to change permissions to /system so can you boot to a custom recovery and then just flash a new ROM or fix permissions there

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
20th May 2014, 01:51 PM   |  #3  
MasterAwesome's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 781
 
1,126 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blablubb32

Hi guys,

I'm new here and this is my first thread, so I hope I've chosen the correct section for my issue.

I have a sony ericsson xperia x10 mini pro and wanted to gain root access. I managed it so far and made some manipulations within the /system/ directory and due to some mental black-out I made a 'chmod 700 /system/' which now causes my device to fail on each boot. Also just connecting my phone with a computer gives the output of the white sony ericsson label followed by a rebooting, without showing the battary loading screen.
Using adb I have only a few seconds of access to the device and I wanted to change the rights of /system/ to some reasonable values. Unfortunately running 'adb shell' gives:

- exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: Permission denied (13) -

so I downloaded adb plus some other stuff following this description android.serverbox.ch/?p=1217. I replaced each and every occurance of /system/bin/sh to /bin/sh in order to call a different shell which I might have read access but still the same error as above occurs, also stating /system/bin/sh instead of /bin/sh.

Does somebody of you have an idea on how I can gain access and change the permissions or how I can completely reset the phone?

Thanks and cheers

Go to the recovery then do a fix permissions in recovery. Or flash a new rom. Or use flash tools to install stock images again.


Sent from my Moto G
21st May 2014, 12:41 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterAwesome

Go to the recovery then do a fix permissions in recovery. Or flash a new rom. Or use flash tools to install stock images again.

Thanks, but can you please give me a bit more details in what you mean by go to recovery?

Cheers,
21st May 2014, 01:20 PM   |  #5  
MasterAwesome's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 781
 
1,126 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blablubb32

Thanks, but can you please give me a bit more details in what you mean by go to recovery?

Cheers,

Install a CWM recovery? Search about it

Sent from my Moto G
21st May 2014, 02:07 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterAwesome

Install a CWM recovery? Search about it

I tried to, but my mobile can not be found by fastboot. Even if I make adb reboot bootloader.
21st May 2014, 03:55 PM   |  #7  
MasterAwesome's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 781
 
1,126 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blablubb32

I tried to, but my mobile can not be found by fastboot. Even if I make adb reboot bootloader.

Thats nearly impossible.. Install your drivers.

Despite all this you can use flash tools to flash stock back again.

If you're using Linux type lsusb in the terminal and see if you see your device

Regards
MasterAwesome
Sent from my Moto G
21st May 2014, 04:05 PM   |  #8  
shimp208's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 1,565
 
2,248 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blablubb32

I tried to, but my mobile can not be found by fastboot. Even if I make adb reboot bootloader.

I would recommend checking out this guide, specially step 8-15 of this guide which will instruct you how to properly setup fastboot and the required drivers on your Sony device. Also I would recommend taking a look at this guide on how to boot your device into fastboot mode through the button combination. Let me know if you still have questions.
The Following User Says Thank You to shimp208 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd May 2014, 11:22 AM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
I tried to flash my mobile, using flash tool (from here: chip.de/downloads/Xperia-Flash-Tool_65533558.html) and now my mobile does not do anything anymore. So I guess this thread can be closed, except anyone has an idea what I can do now.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Android Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank