[Q] How do I unbrick my galaxy s4???

20th May 2014, 10:03 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
Ok. So here's what happened. I wanted to root my verizon galaxy s4 and put stock kitkat on it. It was on 4.3. So I rooted it. No problem. Then I tried to put on CWM so I could flash AOPK. But, once I put CWM on, I could not get it into recovery mode. It said that unauthorized software was on my device, not approved by verizon. The only way I could turn on the phone was to put it into download mode and then hit cancel. I wanted to unroot the phone at that point and try again. Also with downgrading it. So I downloaded ODIN and tried to restore my phone to samsung stock 4.2.2. So I tried it, it worked for a while and then ODIN said that it failed. Then when I turned on my phone, it gave me a message saying "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies and try again." So I opened Kies, connected the phone, and tried to do emergency recovery, but it did't recognize my device. So I selected firmware upgrade and instilation. It downloaded and everything but it said "this devices version cannot be updated." So now I have no idea what to do. I can only go into download mode now. Please help me! What should I do?
20th May 2014, 10:19 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Baltimore
Thanks Meter: 3,889

4,928 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sounut

Ok. So here's what happened. I wanted to root my verizon galaxy s4 and put stock kitkat on it. It was on 4.3. So I rooted it. No problem. Then I tried to put on CWM so I could flash AOPK. But, once I put CWM on, I could not get it into recovery mode. It said that unauthorized software was on my device, not approved by verizon. The only way I could turn on the phone was to put it into download mode and then hit cancel. I wanted to unroot the phone at that point and try again. Also with downgrading it. So I downloaded ODIN and tried to restore my phone to samsung stock 4.2.2. So I tried it, it worked for a while and then ODIN said that it failed. Then when I turned on my phone, it gave me a message saying "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies and try again." So I opened Kies, connected the phone, and tried to do emergency recovery, but it did't recognize my device. So I selected firmware upgrade and instilation. It downloaded and everything but it said "this devices version cannot be updated." So now I have no idea what to do. I can only go into download mode now. Please help me! What should I do?

Ask your questions here...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...07835153226421

It's a forum specificaly for the Verizon S4. You will find alot more users who have intimate knowledge of your device to assist you there.
22nd May 2014, 12:04 PM   |  #3  
Quote:
Originally Posted by sounut

Not an easy one this one, but can be solved.
First step: get the right firmware from SamMobile. (phone/operator/country).
Uninstall Kies (and USB drivers).
Reinstall Kies.
Obviously, phone removed all the time form PC!
Shut down the phone (it should be fully charged before, using the normal power adaptor).
Get phone to download mode. Still not connected
Connect phone and wait for the drivers to install.
Start Odin and flash the right firmware (watch for the blue button in Odin, it means the phone is connected OK).
IF it does not work, try another USB port (maybe even a different computer).
If it does not work the first time, in spite off all the above steps successful, don't despair. Shut down the phone (keep pressing power button) and restart in download mode. Repeat Odin procedure.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread

Top Threads in Galaxy S 4 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank