Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,266 Members 41,917 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

A question to those in the UK on the EE Network (call drop-outs)

Tip us?

hawkerpaul
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 5291

DONATE TO ME
Default A question to those in the UK on the EE Network (call drop-outs)

I've been having bad data reliability and even worse voice calls reliability for several months now on the EE Network (UK)

I'm wondering if it could be something to do with the combination bootloader/firmware/GSM modem/LTE modem versions?

I'm still on the old bootloader, using 4.4.2 (Danvdh's) ROM and on MH1 LTE modem.
No matter what GSM modem I've tried, I can barely have a conversation longer than a minute before the call gets cut off.
After researching, I've seen this is quite a common problem on the EE network, but I'm curious to know if there is any particular bootloader/firmware/gsm/lte combination that works better than others.

My question goes out to those of you in the UK on the EE network, and how your voice calls and data reliability has been.
I would be grateful to know the following:

1. Location in the UK
2. Bootloader version
3. ROM+ROM type
4. Firmware version
5. GSM Modem
6. LTE version
7. Frequency of call drop-outs
8. Reliability of data connectivity

For me, this is as follows:
1. Cardiff
2. MGA
3. Danvdh, GE ROM
4. 4.4.2
5. NE5 (but I've tried more or less every new modem since MGA)
6. MH1
7. Pretty much very call. Sometimes the call drops after only a few seconds. Occasionally the call may last a minute or two before dropping.
8. Extremely unreliable particularly in borderline LTE areas that need to switch between 3G and 4G modes.

Perhaps point 8. may improve if I upgrade bootloader+LTE modem to a 4.4.2 version? This is one of the main reasons for starting this thread.
More worrying though is the extreme unreliability of voice calls for me.

Any input will be very much appreciated.
Thanks
Device: Samsung GT-I9505
My Scripts
My Web Site

htr5
Old
Thanks Meter 3
To fix your problem, or any problem for that matter, you need to rule out some of the possibilities.

Do you experience the same problem on another phone whilst in the same location on the same network with the same sim card?

Secondly, please check your coverage here: http://ee.co.uk/ee-and-me/network/4gee/coverage-checker

If you still think there is a problem, (it will most likely not be specific to your phone) check with others in the area on the same network.

- Once you are sure that it is your S4 that it is to blame then you can make a full backup and a titanium backup and then install the stock files. I'm running I9505XXUFNC9_MODEM without any problems. But I'm on the Giffgaff network in another part of the country.