Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,518 Members 50,883 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] HTC One M8 doesn't boot, I can only get into recovery!

Tip us?

Niorun
Old
(Last edited by Niorun; 22nd May 2014 at 09:47 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Unhappy [Q] HTC One M8 doesn't boot, I can only get into recovery!

Hi,

I need some help, my phone doesn't boot anymore and i can only get into recovery!

I was on TWRP and ARHD (latest versions) and i wanted to try out PhilZ recovery, everything went well except when i wanted to format my sd card and reinstall ARHD. Normally my phone should boot up so i can place the .zip file on the virtual sdcard. That is where the problem starts, it doesn't anymore it hangs on the HTC logo (boot animation) and stops working.

I can reboot the phone with the power button + volume up and when the screen turns black press volume down method. But that is it really!

When in recovery and select fastboot (usb) the phone won't show up on my computer. When it try to mount the sdcard from PhilZ recovery i get a cdrom drive mounted somehow. And if i select the reboot function from PhilZ recovery i get a message saying: 'Root access is missing/broken.' I can select 'No' or 'Yes - Apply root (/system/xbin/su)' both options won't change a thing...

I have a nandroid backed up to my PC, but that isn't of any help either.

If anyone has any suggestions or solutions?

Thanks in advance,

---
*** TAMPERED ***
*** UNLOCKED ***
M8_UL PVT SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-3.16.0.0000
RADIO-1.15.2133156.UA13G
OpenDSP-v38.2.2-00542-M8974.0311
OS-
eMMC-boot 2048MB
Mar 22 2014,00:08:55.0

EddyOS
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niorun View Post
Hi,

I need some help, my phone doesn't boot anymore and i can only get into recovery!

I was on TWRP and ARHD (latest versions) and i wanted to try out PhilZ recovery, everything went well except when i wanted to format my sd card and reinstall ARHD. Normally my phone should boot up so i can place the .zip file on the virtual sdcard. That is where the problem starts, it doesn't anymore it hangs on the HTC logo (boot animation) and stops working.

I can reboot the phone with the power button + volume up and when the screen turns black press volume down method. But that is it really!

When in recovery and select fastboot (usb) the phone won't show up on my computer. When it try to mount the sdcard from PhilZ recovery i get a cdrom drive mounted somehow. And if i select the reboot function from PhilZ recovery i get a message saying: 'Root access is missing/broken.' I can select 'No' or 'Yes - Apply root (/system/xbin/su)' both options won't change a thing...

I have a nandroid backed up to my PC, but that isn't of any help either.

If anyone has any suggestions or solutions?

Thanks in advance,

---
*** TAMPERED ***
*** UNLOCKED ***
M8_UL PVT SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-3.16.0.0000
RADIO-1.15.2133156.UA13G
OpenDSP-v38.2.2-00542-M8974.0311
OS-
eMMC-boot 2048MB
Mar 22 2014,00:08:55.0
Use adb push to push the nandroid back to your phone to restore it. I'd also go back to TWRP to make sure it restores correctly
OnePlus One A0001 (Sandstone Grey) 64GB
ROM: CyanogenMod 11S (XNPH33R) | Bootloader: Stock | Recovery: Stock | Radio: Stock | Kernel: Stock

Google Nexus 5 D821 (Black) 32GB
ROM: Android 4.4.4 (KTU84P) | Bootloader: HHZ11K | Recovery: Stock | Radio: 2.0.50.1.16 | Kernel: Stock

If you have a question, great - but DO NOT PM ME WITH IT!!! | [GUIDE] Return your EU M8 to 100% Stock (S-OFF Required) | [GUIDE] Return your OPO to 100% Stock
The Following User Says Thank You to EddyOS For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Niorun
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyOS View Post
Use adb push to push the nandroid back to your phone to restore it. I'd also go back to TWRP to make sure it restores correctly
Just to be sure;
- Flash TWRP (fastboot flash recovery recovery.img)
- Push recovery.img (adb push recovery.img /data/recovery.img)
- Restore (Run restore from recovery)

I've collected the recovery.img from the backup folder and placed it into the adb/fastboot folder.

Is above correct? I don't want to mess it up further.

EddyOS
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,046
Quote:
Just to be sure;
- Flash TWRP (fastboot flash recovery recovery.img)
- Push recovery.img (adb push recovery.img /data/recovery.img)
- Restore (Run restore from recovery)

I've collected the recovery.img from the backup folder and placed it into the adb/fastboot folder.

Is above correct? I don't want to mess it up further.
Not quite...

1. Flash TWRP (fastboot flash recovery recovery.img)
2. Once in TWRP, use adb push to push the Nandroid to your phone (adb push <foldername> /data/media (I think, never had to use it so could be wrong))
3. Once pushed, restore backup in TWRP
ROM: CyanogenMod 11S (XNPH33R) | Bootloader: Stock | Recovery: Stock | Radio: Stock | Kernel: Stock

ROM: Android 4.4.4 (KTU84P) | Bootloader: HHZ11K | Recovery: Stock | Radio: 2.0.50.1.16 | Kernel: Stock

If you have a question, great - but DO NOT PM ME WITH IT!!! | [GUIDE] Return your EU M8 to 100% Stock (S-OFF Required) | [GUIDE] Return your OPO to 100% Stock
The Following User Says Thank You to EddyOS For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Niorun
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Not quite...

1. Flash TWRP (fastboot flash recovery recovery.img)
2. Once in TWRP, use adb push to push the Nandroid to your phone (adb push <foldername> /data/media (I think, never had to use it so could be wrong))
3. Once pushed, restore backup in TWRP
I placed the folder into the root backup folder for TWRP, which is /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/<foldername>. It's copying the data now, afterwards i'll restore it.

I will let you know the outcome.

Thanks so far!

EddyOS
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,046
Quote:
I placed the folder into the root backup folder for TWRP, which is /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/<foldername>. It's copying the data now, afterwards i'll restore it.

I will let you know the outcome.

Thanks so far!
That's the CWM recovery location, you have to put the TWRP backup in the TWRP location (from memory it's /data/media/TWRP/<serialnumber>/BACKUPS/<nameofbackupfolder>) otherwise it won't be seen

Niorun
Old
(Last edited by Niorun; 22nd May 2014 at 11:37 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
That's the CWM recovery location, you have to put the TWRP backup in the TWRP location (from memory it's /data/media/TWRP/<serialnumber>/BACKUPS/<nameofbackupfolder>) otherwise it won't be seen
Haha yes, i had just figured that out. My mistake. Thanks for pointing it out anyway.

I've not been clear, just to clarify...

I booted PhilZ recovery and made a backup before flashing it.
That is why i mixed up things all together, i've now reflashed PhilZ and restored the backup i've made.

The restore procedure worked fine now, and my phone booted up.

I am still not aware though where it went wrong... But, I am glad i've got it working again thanks for your help!

Niorun
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Problem is solved, this thread can be closed or whatever.

EddyOS
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,046
Quote:
Problem is solved, this thread can be closed or whatever.
Might wanna highlight what you did just in case someone else has the same issue...glad you're working, though!

Niorun
Old
(Last edited by Niorun; 22nd May 2014 at 03:49 PM.) Reason: Typo's
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Might wanna highlight what you did just in case someone else has the same issue...glad you're working, though!
Hopefully you have a backup of your nandroid backup on your PC or another storage.

Here is what i did to solve it.

1. Reboot phone in fastboot, connected the USB cable.
2. I placed the backup folder in my sdk folder, and copied the backup folder to the original restore folder for PhilZ Touch. Start command prompt and go to your sdk folder. Enter the following command: adb push <backupfoldername> /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/<backupfoldername>
3. Reboot phone in recovery.
4. Select 'Backup and Restore' then select 'Restore from /sdcard'.
5. Select your <backupfoldername> and restore!

NOTE: If your backup has been made with another recovery than PhilZ Touch its restore folder is different! Be sure to write down the correct one or the backup isn't visible in recovery.