Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,588 Members 45,425 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Constantly rebooting...

Tip us?

pdn190
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Constantly rebooting...

Hello, this is my first post here and I have searched for a similar post or issue but have been unsuccessful finding anything.

Please forgive me if I have posted in the wrong area, missed a solution somewhere and/or have not explained anything correctly/clearly.

My Nexus 7 (2012) (I installed Cyanogen on it (and updated it once) through their installer and it has run perfectly for months) started rebooting randomly one morning. I turn it on and it seems to be normal, then it will suddenly reboot. The time between reboots varies ranging from 30 seconds to a few minutes. I can not install or update any apps and any settings changed are reset back to what they were previously upon reboot. I have tried a factory reset and while it appears to wipe everything (all caches and data) when I reboot it is the same as before the reset (I also receive this message (after all other processes are complete) during the data wipe "E: unknown volume "/sdcard/.android_secure" "). I am able to turn on developer options but then the random reboot occurs and it is turned off. I have plugged it to my computer and see it listed, but can not access anything on it.

My intention is to wipe it using my computer (fastboot?) but I am at a standstill due to the rebooting and being unable to turn on developer options.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

kcipopnevets
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Have you tried flashing another ROM in recovery? Perhaps try to see if you can access the filesystem while in recovery or if the bootloader brings anything up on your computer.
GEETARSANDGEETARSANDGEETARS
Droid MAXX XT1080M("DEV"), KitKat stock, UNLOCKED(!!!!!!!!!) and rooted
GWAR \m/ (-'__'-) \m/

pdn190
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcipopnevets View Post
Have you tried flashing another ROM in recovery? Perhaps try to see if you can access the filesystem while in recovery or if the bootloader brings anything up on your computer.
Thanks for the reply. Sorry for my delay in replying. I've been rather frustrated with this.

I flashed the official image (downloaded from the google site) using fastboot and it seemed to work as all messages said complete but when I rebooted, it was back to it's current state. I am at a loss. I also tried adb sideloading but that just hangs when it gets to installing. It does not reboot randomly when it is in recovery.

kcipopnevets
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdn190 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Sorry for my delay in replying. I've been rather frustrated with this.

I flashed the official image (downloaded from the google site) using fastboot and it seemed to work as all messages said complete but when I rebooted, it was back to it's current state. I am at a loss. I also tried adb sideloading but that just hangs when it gets to installing. It does not reboot randomly when it is in recovery.
No worries!

So CyanogenMod is still installed? Oh my. Has anything at all changed? If you still have custom recovery installed, why not try a near stock ROM?
GWAR \m/ (-'__'-) \m/

pdn190
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcipopnevets View Post
No worries!

So CyanogenMod is still installed? Oh my. Has anything at all changed? If you still have custom recovery installed, why not try a near stock ROM?
Yes. No matter what I do, when I reboot it's still Cyanogen. Being a semi-novice at this, I didn't backup the stock ROM I had before installing Cyanogen. It feels like a virus, but I pretty much installed the exact same apps on both my phone and tablet and the phone has been fine.

I used this image(nakasi kot49h). Should I try a earlier version?

Thank you.

kcipopnevets
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdn190 View Post
Yes. No matter what I do, when I reboot it's still Cyanogen. Being a semi-novice at this, I didn't backup the stock ROM I had before installing Cyanogen. It feels like a virus, but I pretty much installed the exact same apps on both my phone and tablet and the phone has been fine.

I used this image(nakasi kot49h). Should I try a earlier version?

Thank you.
You can always try. Also make sure you check md5 before flashing, that may explain why stock didn't flash correctly.
GWAR \m/ (-'__'-) \m/

pdn190
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
And I still can't get anything to work. Most recently I tried using wugfresh and EVERYTHING works except when it writes bootloader.img at the start. I feel like I am close but then it reboots back to cyanogen. lol