Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,657 Members 43,264 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Just wanted to say bye to the t989 peeps.

Tip us?

rvmehta
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Alternate method to enter recovery?

Does anyone know of a way to enter recovery other than with using the power button? Is there a way to do it through ODIN?

I installed ICS Stock ROM, but I need to be able to enter recovery to do a factory reset.

My power button is broken. I can get into download mode (pressing volume up, volume down, and then inserting usb cable).

If the phone is off, I can also get the phone to power on (by inserting power cord, feeling vibrate, and then quickly removing power cord).

But I can't get into recovery. If anyone has any creative methods, that'd be awesome!

BitingChaos
Old
Thanks Meter 39
I'm saying goodbye, as well.

After installing ROM after ROM, I never found any that "just worked". Anything 4.4-based had all kinds of busted stuff (1080p video, Netflix, etc). 4.3 had camera/gallery issues. Even with 4.1 and 4.2 (including 4.1 stock), they still seem to suffer from "vbus_present" issues forcing me to reboot any time I unplug the device.
The device froze up on me and corrupted too many photos. I tried asking the community what the "best" ROM was, and mods closed the thread.

I wanted the T989 as a tool. Not something I had to babysit.

Maybe I'll get a Moto G or whatever Motorola's new phone is.

KJ
Old
(Last edited by KJ; 2nd May 2014 at 09:23 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitingChaos View Post

After installing ROM after ROM, I never found any that "just worked". Anything 4.4-based had all kinds of busted stuff (1080p video, Netflix, etc). 4.3 had camera/gallery issues. Even with 4.1 and 4.2 (including 4.1 stock), they still seem to suffer from "vbus_present" issues forcing me to reboot any time I unplug the device.
The device froze up on me and corrupted too many photos. I tried asking the community what the "best" ROM was, and mods closed the thread.

The way I see it....ROMs made of 4.2.2 and higher may have their odd glitches... But that just life bringing android versions to phones who's official support ended. Its either accept the odd problem, or stick with last official update. In this case touch wiz 4.1.2. Which is pretty much perfect.

Flashing custom ROMs comes with the odd glitch, no matter the phone. That's just how it is.

Stock is for those that can't accept the odd issue.

Good luck with your next phone!! The moto g is nice, for its price for sure!!!

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

A point I should have made.....the devs work hard and for free and for fun....and share with us lucky members.

They do their best with what they have to work with....especially on android versions not even created for our device.

They deserve our respect and thanks. If what's available disappoints anyone....they should keep it to themselves or choose their words wisely.

Without the devs.... We'd have nothing at all. Especially when Google stops giving us official updates.

Be grateful.
Sent from my new HTC One M8, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life? Any device welcome, even tho its an N5 thread. Please specify if on a device other than N5. Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KJ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mkhtfld76
Old
Thanks Meter 40
Still loving my Herc. Carbon rom with SaberMod Uber kernel and I have no complaints...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

eric93se
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitingChaos View Post

Current T989 kitkat bugs piss me off, lol. They seem to be putting finishing touches on it, then all of a sudden they make a bigger change that opens a whole new can of worms.

msal
Old
Thanks Meter 6
My power button got stuck several months ago, so I actually opened the phone up and removed the entire thing. To turn my phone on, I plug it in with a usb chord and hold volume up/down until I enter download mode, then I cancel it.

I use an app called Quick Boot to reboot, enter recovery and so on.

Also, I kind of agree with you guys. Sure, the latest 4.4 ROMs are a little buggy, but I've found 4.3 roms to be perfect, in terms of stability.

musikah_1989
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Got my T989 last november from a friend, second android device I had but the first to get serious with. Also tried to check for newer devices like that LG G2 but the chance for me to get a new one is far less than you can do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to musikah_1989 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

demoncamber
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 193
I lucked out. I complained enough to tmobile about the screen blobs and lines from the amoled displays that they kept sending me as refurbs, wrote the CEO an email, then they called and agreed to send me a GS3 LTE, and let me keep my s2, so I immediately sold both phones and got the g2 new.

Sent from my LG-D801
First learned on: HTC Glacier: myTouch 4G
Sold on swappa:T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II T989 + SGS3 T999L LTE
Current: T-Mo LG G2 D801
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to demoncamber For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jim Jones from Guyana
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoncamber View Post
So I went with the d801 g2!! It's awesome. I just wanted to say bye to all the t989 FAM, everyone was pretty cool and helpful. See you on the other side!

Sent from my LG-D801
Dude that's awesome! So you can send me a copy of your EFS folder then?

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe