Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,173 Members 41,384 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] 50gb Dropbox Storage Addition or Renewal?

Tip us?

lordazoroth
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63
Arrow [Q] 50gb Dropbox Storage Addition or Renewal?

2 years ago I had an S3 and used its 50gb Dropbox promo to add 48gb to a preexisting account. Can the same account be used to take advantage of the S5 50gb Dropbox promo to add onto or renew the original S3 50gb Dropbox Promo?
If I've helped you, please thank me.

My Device:
) T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S5 G900T: BeansTown106 [kltetmo_UVU1ANCH_deodex] [04/16/14]

Last 2 Phones:
) T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S III: Infamous v4.8.2 + KT747-TW-JB-4.1.2-ATT-05-31-2013 Kernel
) Sprint Nexus S 4G
The Following User Says Thank You to lordazoroth For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jackalo
Old
Thanks Meter 11
I haven't been able to get any of my new Samsung devices to renew the Dropbox promo, but them again, my original one hasn't expired just yet.

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to Jackalo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

misticalx
Old
Thanks Meter 8
It didn't work for me either but my S4 promo still has a year and few months left though too.

I did get the promo for the S4 a second time on another account though when I handed it down to someone else to use as an upgraded phone, so that was cool.
The Following User Says Thank You to misticalx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lordazoroth
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by misticalx View Post
It didn't work for me either but my S4 promo still has a year and few months left though too.

I did get the promo for the S4 a second time on another account though when I handed it down to someone else to use as an upgraded phone, so that was cool.
Are you saying you were able to get the promo twice with the same phone by factory resetting and signing up on 2 different accounts?

My Device:
) T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S5 G900T: BeansTown106 [kltetmo_UVU1ANCH_deodex] [04/16/14]

Last 2 Phones:
) T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S III: Infamous v4.8.2 + KT747-TW-JB-4.1.2-ATT-05-31-2013 Kernel
) Sprint Nexus S 4G

misticalx
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordazoroth View Post
Are you saying you were able to get the promo twice with the same phone by factory resetting and signing up on 2 different accounts?
Yup. I was surprised even though they may never likely come close to using that much space anyways.

lordazoroth
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by misticalx View Post
Yup. I was surprised even though they may never likely come close to using that much space anyways.
Yeah I created a new account and used a shared folder to migrate my data from my old account into my new account. It was super fast, just move your files from your old account into your shared folder and copy them out on the other end through your new account ^.^

My Device:

Last 2 Phones:
) Sprint Nexus S 4G

Aou
Old
Thanks Meter 445

DONATE TO ME
I claimed the 50GB (48GB bonus) Dropbox promo on my rooted AT&T with T-Mobile's Dropbox OOBE last year. When I got the S5, I tried to do the same with the S5, and discovered that the expiration date did not change/increment. I investigated, and found this:
https://www.dropbox.com/help/297/en
Quote:
The first Dropbox account that signs in to the app on the device will get 48 GB of free space (assuming the other conditions are met). Each account is only able to claim this promotion once.
I recently exchanged my S5 for another through warranty (long story, don't ask), and on the new handset, I just signed in with my wife's account, granting her the extra 48GB for 2 years. Works for me, because we share a lot of files back and forth using DB. I then removed her account from my device, wiped the cache/data for the dropbox app, and then signed back in with mine. She still has the extra 48GB, and I've got my account back on my device.

I'd like to point out a nice bonus to the whole situation. In the above link, read the Terms near the bottom. Specifically the good part:
Quote:
When the 2-year promotion period ends, the 48 GB of promotional space added to the user's Dropbox service will be automatically removed. An additional 3 GB of storage space will be added to the account.
I'm okay with a permanent 3GB increase, how about everyone else? I'm currently at 61.63GB, but I'll be at 16.63 when the promotion runs out next year. Coupling that with Google Drive's free 15GB (also has a decent PC app), I currently have enough room (31GB permanent so far) to hold every irreplaceable document/picture/file on my computers in the cloud - synced, and for free.
Current device: T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900T)
Current ROM: Stock, rooted
Current mood:
If my advice has helped you, please let me know by hitting the "THANKS" button! I also accept donations of beer or pizza.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aou For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MJDdeLacerda
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Really, there isn't a way to renew the 48GB on the same Dropbox account?? That's not nice at all!

Kid Poker
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJDdeLacerda View Post
Really, there isn't a way to renew the 48GB on the same Dropbox account?? That's not nice at all!
Who ever told you that was misinformed. I've had the promo since the S3, and recently my dropbox had expired and dropped down to the usual 5gb when I did all the bonus stuff to gain the extra space. I got the S4, Note 2, as well as the Note 3 during the time, and was told that the promo cannot be stacked. When I logged into my dropbox account when I got the S5 2 weeks ago, I got a notification that my dropbox had been upgraded again to 52gb now. So you will have to wait until it expires, then you can use the same account to gain the extra space.

Now I have 56.5GB on my account!

STOCK 16gb Samsung Galaxy S4 Black Mist
The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Poker For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MJDdeLacerda
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Poker View Post
Who ever told you that was misinformed. I've had the promo since the S3, and recently my dropbox had expired and dropped down to the usual 5gb when I did all the bonus stuff to gain the extra space. I got the S4, Note 2, as well as the Note 3 during the time, and was told that the promo cannot be stacked. When I logged into my dropbox account when I got the S5 2 weeks ago, I got a notification that my dropbox had been upgraded again to 52gb now. So you will have to wait until it expires, then you can use the same account to gain the extra space.

Now I have 56.5GB on my account!
Thank you for the post, nobody told me that, I read it in this thread, above my earlier post. But that's very nice to know that I can really renew the 48gb, that way I can maintain my files on dropbox.

Tags
50gb dropbox storage promotion s3