Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,817 Members 53,780 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

A question for the devs

Tip us?

DeHuMaNiZeD
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1732
Default A question for the devs

Hey guys,i was thinking a bit,and i thought,since we have fixed video recording on grouper blobs,couldnt we now get offical roms from grouper blobs? Im mainly thinking about Cyanogenmod,since the majority of officaly supported roms for our phone sync with cyanogenmod repo (like aospa) so can anyone tell me is it possible?

Sent from my LG-P880 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
(my device's codename is Falcon,so that's why i have a falcon in my signature

Moto G MAN

Hid3away
Old
(Last edited by Hid3away; 19th May 2014 at 09:30 PM.)
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeHuMaNiZeD View Post
Hey guys,i was thinking a bit,and i thought,since we have fixed video recording on grouper blobs,couldnt we now get offical roms from grouper blobs? Im mainly thinking about Cyanogenmod,since the majority of officaly supported roms for our phone sync with cyanogenmod repo (like aospa) so can anyone tell me is it possible?

Perhaps it is possible, however the way these Roms are built using Jenkins? I think it's called Jenkins for automated builds, it builds all devices at the same time, as we are using grouper blobs and audio and camera wrappers etc. it may cause dependency issues with other devices and therefore will stop the whole batch of nightlies. Which they will not be happy about or even want.

Also the wrappers are using legacy modules too i think? Which don't like some devices so will need adds/removes i think i might be wrong. The sources will need to be modified with ifneq and endif to filter the adaptations for our device in the Android.mk's? and it would seem like too much trouble for what it's worth. I think CM dropped legacy support as well didn't they? maybe? I'm not too sure about that....

Although i may be wrong, and all corrections will be editted in if i have made a mistake, i don't mean to mislead, still new to this stuff :3

Quote:
ifneq ($(filter p880,$(TARGET_DEVICE)),)

endif
source: github.com/Pinky-Inky-and-Clyde/proprietary_vendor_samsung/blob/27fe188f06d167861db7c4607aa3046c4eb2eb5b/melius-common/Android.mk#L19

Adam77Root
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 10961

DONATE TO ME
No such conditionals must be present, it works well with the default build system. It's just a few commits needed and it would work. Otherwise it's usually preferred not to use other blobs than those supplied with the device.

Sent from my OmniROM-powered LG Optimus 4X HD
Quote:
I'd be glad if you could spare me a few bucks. You can use PayPal.

Thanks very much to all donors, it is much appreciated!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Adam77Root For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DeHuMaNiZeD
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam77Root View Post
No such conditionals must be present, it works well with the default build system. It's just a few commits needed and it would work. Otherwise it's usually preferred not to use other blobs than those supplied with the device.

Yeah,i know that some times stock blobs are the best,but don't you think that Grouper blobs are better? And we should be getting offical Paranoid android,since our device is practically a nexus with a lg logo and worse battery,am i right? :P

Moto G MAN

Adam77Root
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 10961

DONATE TO ME
Yes, they are and in our case they certainly are the best. No, it's not a Nexus.

Quote:
I'd be glad if you could spare me a few bucks. You can use PayPal.

Thanks very much to all donors, it is much appreciated!

DeHuMaNiZeD
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam77Root View Post
Yes, they are and in our case they certainly are the best. No, it's not a Nexus.

I am kidding about the nexus,and i was just wondering why we're not implementing them offically,because now they don't have no more bugs than Cyanogenmod sources.

Moto G MAN

gerciolisz
Old
Thanks Meter 135
they still have issues with camera... special functionalities doesnt work with grouper blobs on e.g. blur lens in google camera... barcodes cant be scanned in a realtime...

i think official blobs and grouper blobs are on the same level of awesomeness now when @Adam77Root will repair rest of camera things grouper blobs will own

laufersteppenwolf
Old
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4901

DONATE TO ME
Well, the CM team would have to accept the grouper blobs, and I honestly don't think they would. Partly also because it is (theoretically) not allowed to use grouper blobs, and if one would, he/she could file charges for using grouper blobs. So I guess this will never happen.

But, the p880-dev sources are publicly available, so everyone can use them for their ROM. And regarding CM11, I am compiling CM almost every day with the grouper blobs, so this shouldn't be a problem as well
Sony Ericsson Xperia X8: GingerDX v31b ; alfs CM7 v09c
LG Optimus 4x HD: my own version of CM 10.1 , CWM recovery, UNlocked BL

Crying that it's an application bug is like crying over the speed of light: you should deal with reality, not what you wish reality was. - Linus Torvalds

The Following User Says Thank You to laufersteppenwolf For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]