Lollipop Leak Available for the Sprint Galaxy S5

Since the Android 5.0Lollipop’s official release not too long ago, we’ve seen … more

CPU Spy Gets an Android Lollipop Makeover

At some point in the distant past, you probably heard of CPU Spy for Android by XDARetired … more

Amazon Fire TV Stick vs Chromecast – XDA TV

There is no doubt that Amazon is a huge player in many markets, and they want to be a huge … more

Fight the Heat and Conserve Battery with EaseUS Coolphone

Memory hungry Android applications are often responsible for making our device … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

A question for the devs

OP DeHuMaNiZeD

19th May 2014, 02:50 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag jastrebarsko
Thanks Meter: 1,766

2,994 posts
More
Hey guys,i was thinking a bit,and i thought,since we have fixed video recording on grouper blobs,couldnt we now get offical roms from grouper blobs? Im mainly thinking about Cyanogenmod,since the majority of officaly supported roms for our phone sync with cyanogenmod repo (like aospa) so can anyone tell me is it possible?

Sent from my LG-P880 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
19th May 2014, 10:25 PM   |  #2  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 108

29 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeHuMaNiZeD

Hey guys,i was thinking a bit,and i thought,since we have fixed video recording on grouper blobs,couldnt we now get offical roms from grouper blobs? Im mainly thinking about Cyanogenmod,since the majority of officaly supported roms for our phone sync with cyanogenmod repo (like aospa) so can anyone tell me is it possible?

Perhaps it is possible, however the way these Roms are built using Jenkins? I think it's called Jenkins for automated builds, it builds all devices at the same time, as we are using grouper blobs and audio and camera wrappers etc. it may cause dependency issues with other devices and therefore will stop the whole batch of nightlies. Which they will not be happy about or even want.

Also the wrappers are using legacy modules too i think? Which don't like some devices so will need adds/removes i think i might be wrong. The sources will need to be modified with ifneq and endif to filter the adaptations for our device in the Android.mk's? and it would seem like too much trouble for what it's worth. I think CM dropped legacy support as well didn't they? maybe? I'm not too sure about that....

Although i may be wrong, and all corrections will be editted in if i have made a mistake, i don't mean to mislead, still new to this stuff :3

Quote:

ifneq ($(filter p880,$(TARGET_DEVICE)),)

endif

source: github.com/Pinky-Inky-and-Clyde/proprietary_vendor_samsung/blob/27fe188f06d167861db7c4607aa3046c4eb2eb5b/melius-common/Android.mk#L19
Last edited by Hid3away; 19th May 2014 at 10:30 PM.
20th May 2014, 11:03 AM   |  #3  
Recognized Developer
Flag My coordinates
Thanks Meter: 11,126

2,482 posts
Donate to Me
More
No such conditionals must be present, it works well with the default build system. It's just a few commits needed and it would work. Otherwise it's usually preferred not to use other blobs than those supplied with the device.

Sent from my OmniROM-powered LG Optimus 4X HD
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Adam77Root For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th May 2014, 04:54 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag jastrebarsko

2,994 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam77Root

No such conditionals must be present, it works well with the default build system. It's just a few commits needed and it would work. Otherwise it's usually preferred not to use other blobs than those supplied with the device.

Yeah,i know that some times stock blobs are the best,but don't you think that Grouper blobs are better? And we should be getting offical Paranoid android,since our device is practically a nexus with a lg logo and worse battery,am i right? :P

20th May 2014, 05:35 PM   |  #5  
Recognized Developer
Flag My coordinates
Thanks Meter: 11,126

2,482 posts
Donate to Me
More
Yes, they are and in our case they certainly are the best. No, it's not a Nexus.

20th May 2014, 06:48 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag jastrebarsko

2,994 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam77Root

Yes, they are and in our case they certainly are the best. No, it's not a Nexus.

I am kidding about the nexus,and i was just wondering why we're not implementing them offically,because now they don't have no more bugs than Cyanogenmod sources.

22nd May 2014, 09:51 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 201

574 posts
they still have issues with camera... special functionalities doesnt work with grouper blobs on e.g. blur lens in google camera... barcodes cant be scanned in a realtime...

i think official blobs and grouper blobs are on the same level of awesomeness now when @Adam77Root will repair rest of camera things grouper blobs will own
22nd May 2014, 10:17 PM   |  #8  
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Flag Baden-Württemberg
Thanks Meter: 5,811

2,655 posts
Donate to Me
More
Well, the CM team would have to accept the grouper blobs, and I honestly don't think they would. Partly also because it is (theoretically) not allowed to use grouper blobs, and if one would, he/she could file charges for using grouper blobs. So I guess this will never happen.

But, the p880-dev sources are publicly available, so everyone can use them for their ROM. And regarding CM11, I am compiling CM almost every day with the grouper blobs, so this shouldn't be a problem as well

The Following User Says Thank You to laufersteppenwolf For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread