Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,594 Members 53,737 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How far does TWRP recovery backup alongside LINK2SD?

Tip us?

krusion
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] How far does TWRP recovery backup alongside LINK2SD?

If I were to have LINK2SD and foldermount installed and having some apps running from both internal and external and a couple of symlinks going on.
Then I decide to backup up using TWRP and install a new rom on there. What happens to the apps and folders on the external? Do they stay there or get deleted? Are they then useful or useless?

Now if I were to go and restore the backup nandroid, do things go back into place? Would the thing get recovered to the SD card again?

How about if Titanium backup goes into the equation?

Sorry for any confusion but I'm really confused right now

cam30era
Old
Thanks Meter 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by krusion View Post
If I were to have LINK2SD and foldermount installed and having some apps running from both internal and external and a couple of symlinks going on.
Then I decide to backup up using TWRP and install a new rom on there. What happens to the apps and folders on the external? Do they stay there or get deleted? Are they then useful or useless?

Now if I were to go and restore the backup nandroid, do things go back into place? Would the thing get recovered to the SD card again?

Backup and restore do not touch your internal or external SDcard. So your files, apps, and folders remain untouched.

krusion
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam30era View Post
Backup and restore do not touch your internal or external SDcard. So your files, apps, and folders remain untouched.
yh I'm asking about the LINk2SD part. I couldn't find anything precise on google

cam30era
Old
Thanks Meter 390
Quote:
yh I'm asking about the LINk2SD part. I couldn't find anything precise on google
Don't know link2sd, but nandroid doesn't touch anything on sdcards. Might have to reestablish links, but probably not. Try it, won't harm anything.

whoamigriffiths
Old
(Last edited by whoamigriffiths; 18th May 2014 at 09:21 AM.)
Thanks Meter 637
Quote:

So long as you don't delete any of the data on the external card, then you should be fine. I've been using it this way on my phone for nearly 2yrs.
But my phone is jellybean based so you need to test it out if you are on a kitkat based rom.

**edit to add.. Thought I better add that I don't use foldermount or titanium.
My SD card is partitioned to have an ext4 partition for link2sd and a swap partition and Ofc the main partition.
I've just realised that you don't mention a partition for link2sd. Are you aware that you have to have a partition on your card for link2sd?

Sent from my LG-V500 using XDA Premium HD app
"It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw."

krusion
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoamigriffiths View Post
So long as you don't delete any of the data on the external card, then you should be fine. I've been using it this way on my phone for nearly 2yrs.
But my phone is jellybean based so you need to test it out if you are on a kitkat based rom.

**edit to add.. Thought I better add that I don't use foldermount or titanium.
My SD card is partitioned to have an ext4 partition for link2sd and a swap partition and Ofc the main partition.
I've just realised that you don't mention a partition for link2sd. Are you aware that you have to have a partition on your card for link2sd?

I am aware i have to partition it for LINK2SD but I've no idea what the swap partition is for. I'm guessing if link2sd works then foldermount should too.

So what if this: i move my apps using link2sd then back up the nandroid. Then use a different rom and copy everything on my sd as it is to my computer. Then after i'm done with the rom, i restore and copy the stuff back onto the SD. Should that work? Or would the link be broken?

Thanks in advance.

whoamigriffiths
Old
(Last edited by whoamigriffiths; 18th May 2014 at 10:05 PM.)
Thanks Meter 637
So long as the data is intact, then you should * be fine. The link would be broken but generally you can just recreate the link. I think at one point I was running 4 backed up roms (2 roms and 2 pared down versions for benching) I would switch back and forth daily as I was a tester for 2 devs.
The Swap partition is just for low memory devices. It actually has no bearing on the subject. Just me waffling sorry
As I said earlier, you should make a nandroid before you make any alterations and then add each app/process and back that up too. Then test each change.
All the best rich

"It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw."
The Following User Says Thank You to whoamigriffiths For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

krusion
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
You wouldn't a way that lets you remove TWRP and use the stock recovery would you?

Also a method to unroot so i can send it back to the store for any fixing?

And lastly how do I install the stock rom if i used any other rom? (Besides restoring the nandroid back)

So basically how do i unroot, install stock recovery and reinstall stock rom? For the v500

Thanks in advance and sorry for the noob questions. Still getting the hang of this.

Sent from my LG-V500 using XDA Free mobile app

Tags
foldermount, lg gpad, link2sd, nandroid, titanium