Oppo Releases ColorOS for the Find 5… Poorly

Almost every OEM has taken the liberty of creating its own incarnation of the Android OS. … more

XDA LG Development Challenge Winners

Almost 3months ago, we set out with LGto findtwo amazing apps that developers could put together … more

Wearable Apps w/ Andreas Göransson – XDA:DevCon 2014

XDA:DevCon 2014 in Manchester, UK featured quite a few interesting topics as … more

Browse Your Files with Ease using MK Explorer

Google has made quite an effort in perfecting the powerful and multi-faceted OS that we know as … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Task killers needed?

OP thrgk

22nd May 2014, 07:01 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 17

814 posts
I am wondering if a task killer is needed for my s4. Current try I only use greenify but u feel like with myself ope I got so many different apps it would be beneficial to.kill the ones I'm not currently try using to give more battery and speed. Does android do this by itself and therefore I do not need one or? I did try advanced task killer but when I kill the apps the come right back. Since then I have restored and did not install ATK.

Let me know your opinions
Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
22nd May 2014, 06:21 PM   |  #2  
Flag Portland, ME
Thanks Meter: 480

1,688 posts
More
That's up to you. Android is pretty good at dumping old apps to free up ram. What a lot of people over look is that the android system keeps apps in memory to make them load quicker when you open them again. The only thing I really do is just clear my apps from the recent screen every once in a while.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Free mobile app
22nd May 2014, 06:30 PM   |  #3  
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 325

1,082 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrgk

I am wondering if a task killer is needed for my s4. Current try I only use greenify but u feel like with myself ope I got so many different apps it would be beneficial to.kill the ones I'm not currently try using to give more battery and speed. Does android do this by itself and therefore I do not need one or? I did try advanced task killer but when I kill the apps the come right back. Since then I have restored and did not install ATK.

Let me know your opinions
Thanks

No.
23rd May 2014, 12:10 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 17

814 posts
Is there one you recommend? Other then holding home button down and swiping away the ones I'm done with ?

23rd May 2014, 02:05 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 186

1,114 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrgk

Is there one you recommend? Other then holding home button down and swiping away the ones I'm done with ?

Let Android manage things, it's a lot smarter about it than we are.

The only caveat I have in this area is an app called Greenify. I'm using it to make it easier to stop a few apps from running in the background when I'm not using them - in particular an app called "Viki" (provides access to TV/movies from Asia) that is endlessly active in the background for no good reason and keeps my phone from getting into deep sleep. So I tell the Greenify app to hibernate it when I'm not using it, and deep sleep is back and battery life is good again.

But I agree strongly that using "active" task managers that try to manage your apps for you are not necessary, and can be detrimental on Android.
23rd May 2014, 02:31 AM   |  #6  
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 1,533

3,528 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redflea

Let Android manage things, it's a lot smarter about it than we are.

The only caveat I have in this area is an app called Greenify. I'm using it to make it easier to stop a few apps from running in the background when I'm not using them - in particular an app called "Viki" (provides access to TV/movies from Asia) that is endlessly active in the background for no good reason and keeps my phone from getting into deep sleep. So I tell the Greenify app to hibernate it when I'm not using it, and deep sleep is back and battery life is good again.

But I agree strongly that using "active" task managers that try to manage your apps for you are not necessary, and can be detrimental on Android.

As he stated in the OP, he already users greenify.

I agree, task killers are stupid. The only other thing I would recommend besides that is android firewall and an automation app like tasker

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread