Note 8.0 GT-N5110 - Update Firmare using Heimdall on OSX - 4.2.2 Update Success

OP tdehnke

11th February 2014, 07:52 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Hi, I just got a Note 8.0 (Android newb) yesterday and in Canada we don't have the 4.2.2 firmware available yet OTA or Keis. I've been reading a bit on rooting etc, and for now I just wanted to update to 4.2.2. There is not a lot of info on doing this for Mac users, so I just wanted to do a quick post on how I did it.

Here is what I did & used:

- Macbook Pro Retina - 10.9.1
- Note 8.0 GT-N5110 - Wifi only (Canada)
- Heimdall 1.4 app for OSX - You use this in place of Odin which seems to be PC only
- N5110XXCMK1_N5110OXACMJ2_BTU 4.2.2 firmware for the Note 8.0 - used the UK version - it does not seem to matter what country you use from what I have read - I got mine from Sammobile website listing

Install Heimdall - Read the Readme file - it will tell you alot about how to do this process
Unzip the .zip file that the new firmware comes in
Remove the .md5 extension on the file that you end up with after unzipping
Unzip that file - it will make another folder with 7 files in it .img etc
Run Heimdall
Put your Note into Download mode (Power, Vol Down, Home) then press up
plug it into your mac
Go to the utilities tab in Heimdall and Detect your device - Then I saved the PIT file, and printed the PIT (not sure if you need to do both).
Click on the Flash tab and open the PIT file you just made (it's basically a type of directory/partition map of your Notes drive/filesystem)
Now click add - add a partition name that matches up to each of the files in the folder that we got from unzipping above
- Don't worry about the other names that show up that you don't have files for - you just need to do the ones that we have files for
- Click Add after each one - once you have them all done you may need to click remove to clear the last blank one that pops up in the list
- When you select a Partition from the drop down - the file name it wants shows up to the top left of the Browse Box - handy reference
Once you have all 7 partition files added to the window on the right - leave the repartition, No Reboot, resume boxes unchecked
Click start
You will see Heimdall loading each file into each partition - This takes a few minutes (just copies all the files over to the Note at this point)
Once it is done all 7 your Note will reboot, you will see android updating on the Note, then it will reboot to the Samsung Blue logo and sit there for 30-60 seconds (long enough you think it has hung, but it hasn't), after a while it will show updating the samsung files etc,
Then finally it will finish booting into 4.2.2

So there you have it a quick summary of how to update from 4.1.2 to 4.2.2 on a Mac using OSX Mavericks 10.9.1

This will not root your deice

Hope this helps out a few fellow mac users, so far I'm liking my Note. Being an old Palm Pilot user I've wanted a tablet with an integrated stylus for a long time

Edit:

Should have added this - got this from cyanogenmod website:

On Mac OS X you may see this message: "ERROR: Claiming interface failed!". If so, you need to disable the default USB drivers with the following commands:
sudo kextunload -b com.apple.driver.AppleUSBCDC;
sudo kextunload -b com.apple.driver.AppleUSBCDCACMControl;
sudo kextunload -b com.apple.driver.AppleUSBCDCACMData;

If you have installed Samsung Kies, you may further need to unload those USB drivers with the following commands:
sudo kextunload -b com.devguru.driver.SamsungComposite;
sudo kextunload -b com.devguru.driver.SamsungACMData
sudo kextunload -b com.devguru.driver.SamsungACMControl
Last edited by tdehnke; 11th February 2014 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Added commands to remove USB errors
23rd May 2014, 01:32 AM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
4.4.2 Update
I was able to update to the British version of 4.4.2 using the same method.

One note is that there are only 6 files to update now.

If you have updated Kies on your machine since Hiemdall was updated you will need to run the 3 sudo commands again or Heimdall wont be able to connect to you device

Everything looks to be working ok. The unit does recognize it's not running an official firmware, which is interesting as the 4.2.1 was ok.

One note - when plugged into my laptop - it now doesn't want to charge - only hook up as a camera or media device.
Last edited by tdehnke; 23rd May 2014 at 02:24 AM. Reason: added a couple details
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread