Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,492 Members 39,322 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] CPU Temperature exceeding 80C! How dangerous?

Tip us?
 
Kidtuf
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 11
Join Date: Jul 2012
Question [Q] CPU Temperature exceeding 80C! How dangerous?

Hi guys,

I understand that some heat when running resource intensive applications and games is to be expected but I believe I've passed into the danger zone, so to speak. When playing XCOM my CPU temperature quickly exceeds 80C. From my googling on the matter I have come to assume that a temperature as high as 80C is dangerous for the hardware of the device, but I have had trouble finding upper threshold limits for the model itself.

I guess my questions are as follows:

1) How damaging would running the CPU at 80C for an extended duration (1hr +) be?

2) What would you consider the max acceptable CPU temperature to be?

3) Assuming it is as bad as thought, what are my options to reduce the CPU temperature, short of avoiding the problem applications? Underclocking seems to be a common suggestion, but I get the feeling that XCOM, or similarly taxing applications, may just fail to run or become incredible sluggish under such constraints.

My device is rooted and running Lean Kernel v2.4 along with the w03Slim ROM. Found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2638116

I've done similar test runs in the Temasek kernel with the recommended configurations through Trickster Mod and there is no difference, the CPU still exceeds 80C when playing XCOM. After a week or so of googling, searching the forums, and digging through device manuals I feel like I'm spinning my wheels.

Any insight or advice you all might have is greatly appreciated.
 
Kidtuf
Old
#2  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 11
Join Date: Jul 2012
Solved!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=2495

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
Lorettaa
Old
#3  
Lorettaa's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 36
Posts: 400
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: iloilo
Does not exceeds to 80c now?
 
dramitt_live
Old
#4  
dramitt_live's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 163
Posts: 310
Join Date: Sep 2013
You can try a custom kernel, i would recommend you BioShock kernel, with conservativex, max freq 2.2 ghz and undervolt 25 mV... No more over warming for me, great performance and battery life

Sent from my TWEAKED KITKAT note 3 powered by BioShock kernel
The Following User Says Thank You to dramitt_live For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
d12unk13astard
Old
#5  
d12unk13astard's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 605
Posts: 2,185
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bakersucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramitt_live View Post
You can try a custom kernel, i would recommend you BioShock kernel, with conservativex, max freq 2.2 ghz and undervolt 25 mV... No more over warming for me, great performance and battery life

Sent from my TWEAKED KITKAT note 3 powered by BioShock kernel
Agree with this post, conservativex is a great governor to keep your cpu in check and not over throttle itself, also check out my thread I made here awhile back and apply the 8th post down. It really helped keep the temp down on my phone when playing graphically intensive games like dead trigger 2,riptide gp2 etc. Also if you have trickster mod or faux clock(really recommended) you can scale down your max frequency, that should really help keep it cooler and you won't see much of a performance drop (if any) while gaming or heavily using your phone.


Sent from my SM-N900T using xda premium
Current Device: T-Mobile Note 3 (SM-N900T)

Past Devices:

Sprint Note 2 (L900) - Hanging on to
Sprint Galaxy S2 - Sold
T-Mobile G2X (P-999) - Sold
T-Mobile Mytouch4G - Sold
T-Mobile G1 (Dream) - Sold
The Following User Says Thank You to d12unk13astard For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
dramitt_live
Old
#6  
dramitt_live's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 163
Posts: 310
Join Date: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by d12unk13astard View Post
Agree with this post, conservativex is a great governor to keep your cpu in check and not over throttle itself, also check out my thread I made here awhile back and apply the 8th post down. It really helped keep the temp down on my phone when playing graphically intensive games like dead trigger 2,riptide gp2 etc. Also if you have trickster mod or faux clock(really recommended) you can scale down your max frequency, that should really help keep it cooler and you won't see much of a performance drop (if any) while gaming or heavily using your phone.


Sent from my SM-N900T using xda premium
Does it works with KitKat?

Sent from my TWEAKED KITKAT note 3 powered by BioShock kernel
 
d12unk13astard
Old
#7  
d12unk13astard's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 605
Posts: 2,185
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bakersucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramitt_live View Post
Does it works with KitKat?

Sent from my TWEAKED KITKAT note 3 powered by BioShock kernel
Yes I have applied it on kk roms too, phone idles and runs much cooler after applied.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Current Device: T-Mobile Note 3 (SM-N900T)

Past Devices:

Sprint Note 2 (L900) - Hanging on to
Sprint Galaxy S2 - Sold
T-Mobile G2X (P-999) - Sold
T-Mobile Mytouch4G - Sold
T-Mobile G1 (Dream) - Sold
 
dramitt_live
Old
#8  
dramitt_live's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 163
Posts: 310
Join Date: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by d12unk13astard View Post
Yes I have applied it on kk roms too, phone idles and runs much cooler after applied.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Sounds great.. But i have a question.. Some settings are for ondemand based govs wich are unstable with kk... So would you recommend to try this with interactivex? Or wich one. TIA

Sent from my TWEAKED KITKAT note 3 powered by BioShock kernel

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Monitor What Your Phone’s Camera Sees with Android Wear

Having a smart device strapped to your wrist certainly has its merits. A … more

Mod Lets You Have Stereo Speakers on Your Sony Xperia Z1 (Sort Of)

The stereo speakers onthe Sony Xperia Z2areprobably a relatively large … more

Give Your Screen Some Color with HexaTime Live Wallpaper

We don’t often cover very many live wallpapers here on the XDA Portal. You may … more

Android Wear App Review: Command Google Now with Commandr – XDA Developer TV

OK Google. Make Me a sandwich. How many times have you … more