Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,955 Members 53,067 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] x86 emulator (QEMU, BOCHS etc) slow on x86 based Android

Tip us?

demodl
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] x86 emulator (QEMU, BOCHS etc) slow on x86 based Android

Hi,

I hope this is the right place to ask. I haven't found anything similar until now.
I was experimenting with QEMU, x86 emulator on Android on my Asus Memo FHD tab which is already based on an x86 Atom architecture.
I see way slower speeds (unusable) than I read about arm based counterparts. I assume this is because QEMU assumes ARM architecture and the x86 atom is also emulating ARM.

-Is there an other way to emulate a complete x86 system faster on this architecture?

Thank you!

Lgrootnoob
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 108

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by demodl View Post
Hi,

I hope this is the right place to ask. I haven't found anything similar until now.
I was experimenting with QEMU, x86 emulator on Android on my Asus Memo FHD tab which is already based on an x86 Atom architecture.
I see way slower speeds (unusable) than I read about arm based counterparts. I assume this is because QEMU assumes ARM architecture and the x86 atom is also emulating ARM.

-Is there an other way to emulate a complete x86 system faster on this architecture?

Thank you!
QEMU is extremely slow because it interprets and convferts code on the fly.
You would be better off to burn an iso of this http://sourceforge.net/projects/andr...1.iso/download
and burn it to usb stick with Unetbootin. THen boot off of that with a pc that can do so.

demodl
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgrootnoob View Post
QEMU is extremely slow because it interprets and convferts code on the fly.
You would be better off to burn an iso of this http://sourceforge.net/projects/andr...1.iso/download
and burn it to usb stick with Unetbootin. THen boot off of that with a pc that can do so.
Thanks, running x86 virtual OS (Windows) on an android tablet sounded fun and I was just wondering if there is a more efficient solution for systems already based on x86. I guess there isn't.
Thanks!

Lgrootnoob
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 108

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by demodl View Post
Thanks, running x86 virtual OS (Windows) on an android tablet sounded fun and I was just wondering if there is a more efficient solution for systems already based on x86. I guess there isn't.
Thanks!
Well, there is an emulator I use, but it is extremely slow also. We just don't have native virtualization acceleration support on our processors in the phones. Otherwise it would be lightning speed.

demodl
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgrootnoob View Post
Well, there is an emulator I use, but it is extremely slow also. We just don't have native virtualization acceleration support on our processors in the phones. Otherwise it would be lightning speed.
Found this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2600589
Based on the specification the intel Atom Z2560 (x86) cpu supports virtualization, however there is not software to utilize this yet.
I hope this changes, it could be useful.
The Following User Says Thank You to demodl For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

demodl
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Looks like someone has already did it. I hope it'll be available for the public.
See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZQ-xZfc8NA