Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,165 Members 37,807 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Not so brief comparison of S5 vs M8 (downloadable spreadsheet)

Tip us?

mswlogo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by AarSyl View Post
So I finally picked up an M8, and my wife got the S5. The antenna signals are on par with one another. The M8 actually seems to grab LTE signal a little better than the S5. I haven't tested the camera or the batteries as of yet.

If there is one thing that I can say is that the new TouchWiz launcher is even slower than her S3 phone. The phone itself is fast and snappy, but the launcher lag is just terrible.

Sent from my 831C using XDA Free mobile app
I don't notice any lag what so ever.

But I am running a very debloated ROM

It could also be the animation you don't like.
Samsung Galaxy S5 with R.O.D.T

AarSyl
Old
Thanks Meter 719
That's the thing. I see no lag while navigating the phone. The launcher is the only place I see the lag, and missing frames. The launcher was poorly done this time around, in my opinion.

jacobb23
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Default decisions

Quote:
Originally Posted by AarSyl View Post
That's the thing. I see no lag while navigating the phone. The launcher is the only place I see the lag, and missing frames. The launcher was poorly done this time around, in my opinion.

Been having the same debate for the last 14 days. Today is day 14 and I HAVE to decide. I also think the GS5 is super snappy, and the launcher thing doesn't bother me, because I always default to NOVA anyway. I will say it worries me that the development scene is moving much slower than with the S3, but really, there is so much to like about this phone, that I'm not sure it's a deal breaker.

I really hope some stuff comes through, and I can use things like xposed and other mods, but even if I can't this phone is pretty BA.

The only reason I'll still root is that derned wifi hotspot. I do also hope that the oft speculated gs5 prime doesn't come out in like 2 weeks and make me regret this....

mswlogo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobb23 View Post
Been having the same debate for the last 14 days. Today is day 14 and I HAVE to decide. I also think the GS5 is super snappy, and the launcher thing doesn't bother me, because I always default to NOVA anyway. I will say it worries me that the development scene is moving much slower than with the S3, but really, there is so much to like about this phone, that I'm not sure it's a deal breaker.

I really hope some stuff comes through, and I can use things like xposed and other mods, but even if I can't this phone is pretty BA.

The only reason I'll still root is that derned wifi hotspot. I do also hope that the oft speculated gs5 prime doesn't come out in like 2 weeks and make me regret this....
That's the primary reason I root too.
But it sure is nice getting rid of bloat and tracking to go along with it.
Roam only can be handy too, but Roam Control app can do that.

metalfan78
Old
Thanks Meter 1558
@mswlogo, how is the s5 treating you?

mswlogo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfan78 View Post
@mswlogo, how is the s5 treating you?
It's treating me good. I'm not gonna say is it's the holy grail over the M8. But I'm 99.9% sure I'll be keeping the S5.

Trying to find a black wireless charging back for it now.

I still prefer HTC Browser over any browser. Dolphin and Opera are close (but have other little glitchy annoyances). Samsung Browser is really not good for viewing some sites.

This link explains the problem.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/01...t-coming-back/

Basically Google removed Text Reflow from Android as of KitKat. This effected many browsers which used what is call "WebView" API.

Some companies re-implemented Text Reflow, Some had their own version to begin with and others just let it disappear with release of KitKat.

Samsung let it disappear. HTC re-implemented it or always had their own version.

Only 3 browsers I have tried have it, HTC, Dolphin and Opera. AOSP, Chrome, Firefox, Samsung do not have Text Reflow any longer.

It's painful reading some sites without Text Reflow. XDA being one them (and the article I sighted above used XDA as example of the problem).
The Following User Says Thank You to mswlogo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

metalfan78
Old
Thanks Meter 1558
I have been working on getting one myself. Every phone will have ups and downs, right now I'm pissed because I have an m8 that cannot be s-offed. I talked to htc today about some of the issues the you, others, and I have had and got the typical 'blame the other guy' conversation. I was initially asking about an official RUU, the tech told me that only AT&T has asked for and allowed them to post one. I have never had issues with Sprint until this phone and they are on my last nerve. But I digress, lol.

mswlogo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfan78 View Post
I have been working on getting one myself. Every phone will have ups and downs, right now I'm pissed because I have an m8 that cannot be s-offed. I talked to htc today about some of the issues the you, others, and I have had and got the typical 'blame the other guy' conversation. I was initially asking about an official RUU, the tech told me that only AT&T has asked for and allowed them to post one. I have never had issues with Sprint until this phone and they are on my last nerve. But I digress, lol.
I was thinking of asking HTC the same thing about a Stock RUU. I doubt it would fix it though. The Harmon RUU would not fix mine and it ran fine on the 2nd M8.

You can't blame HTC on the S-OFF thing (except for the first one breaking) . That's just a matter of luck. I was worried if I wanted to go back to the M8 that my replaced unit (still sealed in box) might not get S-OFF either. But that looks like it won't be an issue because I plan to sell it sealed.

I'll see eventually over on the other side I assume.

I would not rule out HTC on the next phone.

metalfan78
Old
Thanks Meter 1558
Actually, we can blame htc for the s-off thing. If they wouldn't turn it on in the first place we wouldn't have to worry about it, lol.

o0xx0o
Old
Thanks Meter 18
I purchased both the M8 and the S5 (had Nexus 5 which I just sold off). Kept both for a few weeks, but in the end, stuck with the S5. Yes, it's not as 'nice looking', but it won out in too many other categories for me to keep the M8. The M8 always felt out of proportion? (not wide enough for height/weight). It was also very slippery without a case on it. S5 feels so much better in the hand (I am female, but do not have 'tiny' hands)

I have all animations turned off and see no significant lag on the S5. Another thing, having took numerous photo's with both devices, in the end, the S5 has the better camera.