No registration required

[Discussion] Is overclocking safe?

OP Aronuser

22nd May 2014, 08:19 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 224

623 posts
More
Let's discuss, I don't know enough about it. But if the processor would overheat it could break right?
Last edited by Aronuser; 23rd May 2014 at 01:04 PM.
23rd May 2014, 04:22 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 16

33 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronuser

Let's discuss, I don't know enough about it. But if the processor would overheat it could break right?

Do you mean "safe"? ("security" is about criminals hacking your phone, "safety" is about not damaging things or self).

I'd say it's like with PC overclocking - if you don't do anything crazy (like increasing voltages too much) then you're safe.

From what I can see, we can overclock our phones with voltages *lower* than stock, so that's as safe as it's going to be

There's also a related safety issue: if your phone crashes, its filesystem "might" become broken and the phone "might" not boot. I haven't seen that happening, but having a nandroid backup is just common sense.
Last edited by sysKin; 23rd May 2014 at 04:26 AM.
23rd May 2014, 09:20 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 73

291 posts
More
Yep, wrong term. Instead of 'secure' should change it to 'safe'.

Like overclocking in any environment, risk is involved. One has to weigh the pro and cons themselves. But, unless you want higher benchmark result or lagging in games - one doesn't need to overclock.
23rd May 2014, 01:05 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 224

623 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sysKin

Do you mean "safe"? ("security" is about criminals hacking your phone, "safety" is about not damaging things or self).

I'd say it's like with PC overclocking - if you don't do anything crazy (like increasing voltages too much) then you're safe.

From what I can see, we can overclock our phones with voltages *lower* than stock, so that's as safe as it's going to be

There's also a related safety issue: if your phone crashes, its filesystem "might" become broken and the phone "might" not boot. I haven't seen that happening, but having a nandroid backup is just common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNCS

Yep, wrong term. Instead of 'secure' should change it to 'safe'.

Like overclocking in any environment, risk is involved. One has to weigh the pro and cons themselves. But, unless you want higher benchmark result or lagging in games - one doesn't need to overclock.

Thanks guys, well yeah i meaned "safe" sorry.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread