Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,298 Members 42,862 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is the Nvidia Shield still worth it ?

Tip us?

dia_naji
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 58
Default Is the Nvidia Shield still worth it ?

There have been numerous leaks about the shield 2. Should I wait for the shield 2 or just get the current one? I'm a big emulator fan, snes, n64, gba nes, etc... I would like to hear everyone's input.
Current Devices

Nexus 5
Rom: SlimKat 4.0
Kernel: Franco

Note 8.0
Rom: Stock
Kernel Stock

Doodle210
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I don't know what your money issue is, but I have no problem paying for both... if you don't have the funds or choose not to spend the funds, I'd probably wait for the Shield 2.

dia_naji
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 58
Money isn't really an issue. I just don't want to buy the shield this month, then next month the 2 comes out.
Current Devices

Nexus 5
Rom: SlimKat 4.0
Kernel: Franco

Note 8.0
Rom: Stock
Kernel Stock

Doodle210
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dia_naji View Post
Money isn't really an issue. I just don't want to buy the shield this month, then next month the 2 comes out.
Doubt it come out anytime soon, I'd give it till Q4 2014 - Q2 2015

nex86
Old
Thanks Meter 39
I don't even think the Shield 2 still comes out this year.
So the current Shield is defenitely worth it, especially now when Half Life 2 and Portal came out o.o

intel352
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Considering rumors/specs are already swirling on Shield 2, and with the recent price drops on Shield, I'll bet Shield 2 will be out by late 2014.

I had same concern, really wanted to wait for Shield 2 (as I've not been impressed with Shield specs), but I *really* wanted to be able to stream PC games (esp w/ Wolfenstein out now, and Watch Dogs out next week), so I went ahead and splurged on Shield 1. I've kept the box & packaging though, so if Shield 2 suddenly surprises us in the next 30 days, I can return to Amazon for refund. If past the 30 day marker, I can always sell the unit used in it's original packaging via Amazon.

Now I've just got to figure out what to do with my gen1 Vita. It was already languishing prior to Shield, and now that I can play PC games on a handheld, Vita seems completely redundant (well, except for periods of time where I don't have net connectivity, but then I'd likely be reading/working or end up playing Candy Crush Saga, lol)
Current: Nexus 4 (stock KK), Nexus 7 (stock JB)

Retired: Galaxy Nexus (unlocked, stock JB), Kindle Fire on JandyCane, Acer Iconia A500 (stock ICS), HTC G2 (stock, rooted), HTC G1 (CM, rooted)