Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,567 Members 42,663 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Qi Wireless Charging Kit

Tip us?

niking3
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoriginalgiga View Post
very interesting. I've never had an issue with heat, neither with the charging pad nor the receiver in the phone even with the thick case on. I average with mysetup between 16 to 23% charge/hr it's no 40 or 50 I get with a proper wire/adapter setup, but it's more than enough at work and totally enough while sleeping. What was your receiver rated at? the one I linked to is rated at 1000mha (whether or not it charges that fast, I can't comment, my pad is only rated at 750).

What most people don't like about these types of chargers is you can't charge while you use it, phone has to be laying on the charger and all, or they have the screen to be set constantly on or whatever which will slow down your charging. Not saying these were your issues, but I'd recommend running a few tests, it sounds like you've tried different pads, have you bought another receiver for the phone? install an app to help monitor the battery charge and usage (I find battery monitor widget fairly accurate, it'll tell you your charge your charge percentage/hr). just my thoughts for you.
I don't remember the rated mha, because I haven't used it for long time. Maybe they're the very first generation products with lots of problem.
But just like you said, you have to laying down the phone while it's charging, this is the biggest problem for me. In a working desk, you can still using your phone while the charging cable is connected, and the charging speed is incredibly faster then the QI charger, if you use the QI pad, you need to put it back to the pad every time, if you're busy, you don't have time to put it back and make sure they're properly aligned, that's why I eventually give up on the product.
But I just thinking, if some day in the future, the whole working desk can be a QI charger support your tablet and your phone's power, that will be a great invention for our everyday life.

Theoriginalgiga
Old
Thanks Meter 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by niking3 View Post
I don't remember the rated mha, because I haven't used it for long time. Maybe they're the very first generation products with lots of problem.
But just like you said, you have to laying down the phone while it's charging, this is the biggest problem for me. In a working desk, you can still using your phone while the charging cable is connected, and the charging speed is incredibly faster then the QI charger, if you use the QI pad, you need to put it back to the pad every time, if you're busy, you don't have time to put it back and make sure they're properly aligned, that's why I eventually give up on the product.
But I just thinking, if some day in the future, the whole working desk can be a QI charger support your tablet and your phone's power, that will be a great invention for our everyday life.
The starting Gen of inductive charging had a lot of problems, mainly weak circuits in detecting the phone requiring precise lining up. Things are a bit better now especially if you run a naked or think phone case.

Sounds like a brilliant DIY to build an entire desk Qi charging pad. From what I recall the Qi is just a fancy chipset that makes it compatible so someone could theoretically make a desk laced with charging coils if someone had the time, energy and money to do so

Personally I like Qi for home evenings and work. I don't play with my phone at work or whilst I sleep. I also don't keep games on my phone, eats up too much power. During the day and general use I depend on my battery and my cable/plug while on the go. Inductive charging isn't perfect, and frankly will never be in my opinion, but great for those too lazy to plug in their phone (like my gf) or those who get up and down and don't want the hassle of constantly unplugging and plugging their phone in every time. I see them in the same boat as smart watches. They have their niches none of which a normal person really NEEDS, but are fun to haves.
gererent mea auferto filius
pax erit, cum tu fiunt

HTC One M8 T-Mobile
The Following User Says Thank You to Theoriginalgiga For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kms108
Old
Thanks Meter 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoriginalgiga View Post
The starting Gen of inductive charging had a lot of problems, mainly weak circuits in detecting the phone requiring precise lining up. Things are a bit better now especially if you run a naked or think phone case.

Sounds like a brilliant DIY to build an entire desk Qi charging pad. From what I recall the Qi is just a fancy chipset that makes it compatible so someone could theoretically make a desk laced with charging coils if someone had the time, energy and money to do so

Personally I like Qi for home evenings and work. I don't play with my phone at work or whilst I sleep. I also don't keep games on my phone, eats up too much power. During the day and general use I depend on my battery and my cable/plug while on the go. Inductive charging isn't perfect, and frankly will never be in my opinion, but great for those too lazy to plug in their phone (like my gf) or those who get up and down and don't want the hassle of constantly unplugging and plugging their phone in every time. I see them in the same boat as smart watches. They have their niches none of which a normal person really NEEDS, but are fun to haves.
Actually the first generation qi receiver and transmitter was one of the best, Im still using the first generation transmitter from yijieneng, detect all my receiver upto now, and I still have a few first gen S3 receiver, they are built using the best chipset and coil, but because the price of the actual reciever cost more that the oem one itself or 4-5 times the prices of the current receivers on ebay, I don't put them up on ebay.

---------- Post added at 12:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbnocx View Post
Can anyone post a link to the product that they use that works really well? There are tons out there and I just want to make sure I don't pick one that is known to be junk.

Aside from the wireless receivers that fit in the existing back cover, I have thought about getting this official back cover and then just a generic charging pad. If I won't be able to use a case with either, I may prefer the extra bulk this back cover will cause instead of something that fits in the existing back cover. If what you have works with cases, let me know what type of case you use too.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy...ing+back+cover

Thanks!!!
I have this one, works with the S5 as well, but no link available.

Samsung Galaxy S5 SM900F
Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Duos I9192

Sony XBA 3
Sony MDR EX600
Sony MDR EX800ST
Xiao Mi Piston IF Edition