Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,073 Members 44,903 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Safety of RAM Expander kind apps

Tip us?

TakamineSubasa
Old
(Last edited by TakamineSubasa; 23rd May 2014 at 03:53 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 165

DONATE TO ME
Question [Q] Safety of RAM Expander kind apps

Hello,

I'm using an app called RAM EXpander to increase swap in order to unlag my phone wich is running many many apps...

Since our Xperia S doesnt have much ram, this was the only solution to keep everything running and to not make lag in my phone..

So the question is, how safe can be the use of this kind of apps in relation of the flash memory usage (readings/writings)..

AFAIK it'll do some harm in the long term, but what long term means?? 2 years? 1 month and it'll kill my phone flash memory?? 10 years??

I've seen in XDA and all over the web, people that comment on how bad is using flash as a swap because of the writing limitations in flash memory, but still havent seen an actual case of a dead flash memory... LOL

thank you in advance

Lunatiic
Old
Thanks Meter 71
As far as I know the only "downside" of using Swap is that it degrades the SDcard, shortening it's life, but it's only noticeable after long periods of usage ( 5/6 years ? ) because of the constant write when swapping inactive blocks from the RAM to the swap partition. Neither you or I have seen dead SDcards because almost no one keeps the same phone for so many years, considering that those who use SWAP tends to need more performance from the phone and, consequently, ends up upgrading the phone itself in about 2/3 years maximum.

Even tho, I don't see swap as a good alternative for "better" multitasking.. sdcard has much slower write/read speeds comparing to RAM (even SSDs are much slower), so re-opening purged apps can be way faster than just swapping it back to the RAM. But it's my opinion
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunatiic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]