Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,028 Members 38,104 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Screws way too tight... Any help?

Tip us?

ThePurpleK
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default [Q] Screws way too tight... Any help?

I want to install an SD card, but the back plate of the Truesmart... is not possible to remove.
I've used the OEM screwdriver and my own screwdrivers, but I've only managed to undo two screws; the other two are stuck. I think it might be the fact that the grooves of the screws are too flat.
However, does anybody have tips or recommendations to undo these two screws?

trent999
Old
Thanks Meter 55
There are tiny stickers that say "OK" under a microscope over two of the backplate screws, to prevent tampering and inserting your SD card and having to do warranty replacements. If you didn't remove them first, they are now filling up the inadequate Phillips #000 head slots with plastic sticker.
Throw away the little screwdriver thing it shipped with, unless you need it for stabbing Smurfs.
If you have to drill out the screws, the spare ones shipped with the watch are better quality anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

speedyink
Old
Thanks Meter 364
Use a better screw driver. I had to use one of my precision screw drivers to get sufficient grip on the screws to unscrew them.

haybill
Old
Thanks Meter 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyink View Post
Use a better screw driver. I had to use one of my precision screw drivers to get sufficient grip on the screws to unscrew them.
Be a bit careful, though, because one of my Sim card Compartment screws was way tight and I used a proper screw driver--and the screw sheared leaving about 1 mm stub in the bottom of the screw thread hole--at least, that is what I think must have happened since the screw in question is now about 1 mm shorter than the other.
I have written a nice letter to Omate, and got an initial reply--but, it's anyone's guess what their remedy will be?? Not a replacement watch I am sure.
Drilling and tapping screws that small is not possible--at least not by me.

drewflux
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I ended up having to apply heat to the screws in the sim cover to remove them. Intresting enough, there was no sign of threadlocking agent when the screws finally came out.

Dreamsleeper
Old
Thanks Meter 0
What exact kind of Screwdriver do you need?
I have problems with the standard one that came with the TS. No I want to buy a better one from Amazon or hardware-store.

waspbr
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have the same issue, the screwdriver that came with the TS is pretty much useless. I was able to remove just one screw and the rest did not budge...

I am really disappointed with the design flaws of this device.

LeighR
Old
Thanks Meter 90
Yep, stock screwdriver is a POS.

Sent from my LG-V500 using XDA Free mobile app

tshoulihane
Old
Thanks Meter 80
The driver I used is marked P0 - and i think it is this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-66-3.../dp/B0014KMDZ0
I think I bought mine in Tesco, it's pretty handy and better quality than I expected.
HTC M8, SGS3 (nearly dead eMMC), TF201, Nook touch