Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,870 Members 50,948 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Tempered glass - Otterbox Commuter

Tip us?

Runarsson
Old
(Last edited by Runarsson; 21st May 2014 at 12:12 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Tempered glass - Otterbox Commuter

I'm wondering about the match of these two together... around the edges. Being an epileptic I really don't prefer the thinnest possible glass as it's not only dropping the phone I'm worried about. Epilepsy is kind of an "uncontrolled breakdance disease" so phone abuse might be more violent than just a regular drop in the pavement. But what glass thickness will an Otterbox Commuter allow around the edges... if it actually goes far enough over the phone's edges to reach the tempered glass. (I don't know that either, since I haven't bought the case yet.)

Are there any experiences out there? Thickness suggestions? Maybe suggestions of glass covers if it's a "some will and some won't" issue?

Berthaconners524
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runarsson View Post
I'm wondering about the match of these two together... around the edges. Being an epileptic I really don't prefer the thinnest possible glass as it's not only dropping the phone I'm worried about. Epilepsy is kind of an "uncontrolled breakdance disease" so phone abuse might be more violent than just a regular drop in the pavement. But what glass thickness will an Otterbox Commuter allow around the edges... if it actually goes far enough over the phone's edges to reach the tempered glass. (I don't know that either, since I haven't bought the case yet.)

Are there any experiences out there? Thickness suggestions? Maybe suggestions of glass covers if it's a "some will and some won't" issue?
I have the commuter, and a regular "non-glass" screen protector. I've been doing a lot of reading about the glass, and the general consensus is that it does break with wear, usually pretty easily. I have a friend at work whose daughter has epilepsy, and I understand your concern. Best of luck to you, dear.

Runarsson
Old
(Last edited by Runarsson; 21st May 2014 at 04:39 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berthaconners524 View Post
I have the commuter, and a regular "non-glass" screen protector. I've been doing a lot of reading about the glass, and the general consensus is that it does break with wear, usually pretty easily. I have a friend at work whose daughter has epilepsy, and I understand your concern. Best of luck to you, dear.
Everything breaks with wear. That's one of the things we can't get around. But I do think that a tempered glass layer has more to offer than the thin plastic film when it comes to abuse that's worse than keys and coins... and even if the hit breaks the screen protector, chance is still good that the phone's display will be intact.

Not to forget the bonus that comes with a glass protector... a glass display feels much nicer.

Berthaconners524
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runarsson View Post
Everything breaks with wear. That's one of the things we can't get around. But I do think that a tempered glass layer has more to offer than the thin plastic film when it comes to abuse that's worse than keys and coins... and even if the hit breaks the screen protector, chance is still good that the phone's display will be intact.

Not to forget the bonus that comes with a glass protector... a glass display feels much nicer.
I understand that all things do break with wear, but I suppose I cannot comment on the aesthetic of the glass, as I've never tried it yet. But I guess I just like my piece of plastic. I have no complaints. But I might be an exception, and I'm fine with that.

Runarsson
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berthaconners524 View Post
I understand that all things do break with wear, but I suppose I cannot comment on the aesthetic of the glass, as I've never tried it yet. But I guess I just like my piece of plastic. I have no complaints. But I might be an exception, and I'm fine with that.
I'm not the picky type myself. I have no problem enjoying my phone like it is today, with a (cheap) fingerprint attracting and bubbly plastic protector. The extra protection is all that I'm after... and if the glass protector comes with a nicer feeling, I just have to live with it.

Stealyourface
Old
Thanks Meter 146
I've seen somebody with this combo before. It actually fit nicely. He was using a bodyguards protector I think. Whatever one they sell at the AT&T store.

Berthaconners524
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealyourface View Post
I've seen somebody with this combo before. It actually fit nicely. He was using a bodyguards protector I think. Whatever one they sell at the AT&T store.
You present a good idea--- Just go to a phone store, and buy both components from there, AND have them assemble it there for you, too. All your problems are taken care of
I'm from Washington DC. I'm not exactly proud of it.