Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,666 Members 39,372 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Nexus 5 w/ OmniROM + franco mic issue only during call

Tip us?

jvnanu
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Nexus 5 w/ OmniROM + franco mic issue only during call

Hey guys. I'm having an issue with my microphone during calls. People say that they hear me very soft, as if I'm on speaker phone and far away. Other times they can't hear me at all, just a lot of weird interference. I tried calling myself using a VOIP app and left myself a voicemail and I can't hear a thing regardless if I'm using speakerphone or not.

There is NO problem when I'm on a call using bluetooth in the car. There is no problem when I use any voice recording/google now/swype voice recognition type app. Video recordings also work fine.

I'm using the latest OmniROM with Franco.Kernel. I can confirm that the problem also persists when I use the OmniROM kernel.

Could this be a software issue? I'm concerned because my screen has a crack in it and I'm not sure if Google/LG will cover a microphone issue under warranty because of the cracked screen. (I can also confirm that this problem existed BEFORE the phone fell causing the cracked screen).

jvnanu
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvnanu View Post
Hey guys. I'm having an issue with my microphone during calls. People say that they hear me very soft, as if I'm on speaker phone and far away. Other times they can't hear me at all, just a lot of weird interference. I tried calling myself using a VOIP app and left myself a voicemail and I can't hear a thing regardless if I'm using speakerphone or not.

There is NO problem when I'm on a call using bluetooth in the car. There is no problem when I use any voice recording/google now/swype voice recognition type app. Video recordings also work fine.

I'm using the latest OmniROM with Franco.Kernel. I can confirm that the problem also persists when I use the OmniROM kernel.

Could this be a software issue? I'm concerned because my screen has a crack in it and I'm not sure if Google/LG will cover a microphone issue under warranty because of the cracked screen. (I can also confirm that this problem existed BEFORE the phone fell causing the cracked screen).
So I confirmed that this is not a software issue. I went back to stock everything and the problem persists. I opened it up to see if I could do anything to the mic itself, but it's attached to the board and there was nothing I could do. At this point I have a phone with a disfunctional microphone and a voided warranty due to a cracked screen. This sucks. Is there any software that will let me switch which microphone is used during calls? Again, the mic that is used for voice recognition and video recording and google now and voice recording and all that stuff works. The only mic that doesn't work is the bottom mic during calls. Can I switch it so that calls go through the other mic? it won't be perfect, but better than nothing.