Easily Generate and Export Material Design Palletes

For many people, it can be pretty difficult to create a palette of complementary colors. … more

Android One Expanding to Bangladesh, Nepal, and Sri Lanka

At Google I/O 2013, Google proudly announced that the Android operating system was … more

Android 5.0.2 Fixes 2012 Nexus 7! Sony’s Making a Google Glass Competitor? – XDA TV

Android 5.0.2 Lollipop is available for the … more

Early Lollipop Ports for Micromax A116 and A117

It feels like it was only yesterday when Google announced the mysterious Android L.After … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Create app. for bluetooth gadget

OP letalis

21st May 2014, 02:44 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

10 posts
All,

There are a lot of bluetooth gadgets on the market, only unfortunately mostly only for Iphone of android. Is it possible to write a custom application that communicates with the bluetooth device?

I am a windows phone developer, however I never worked with bluetooth before.

Device: Huawei W1 (windows phone 8.1 preview)
Gadget: Vidonn x5 (bluetooth 4.0 bracelet)

Any tips? Or anyone who had done such project before?
22nd May 2014, 08:26 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Developer
Flag Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 426

1,513 posts
Donate to Me
More
MS added GATT (generic attribute profile) API to WP 8.1 (similar to Win 8.1 API which one works perfectly) but unfortunately for us, we can't pair with BLE device now Without successful pairing we can't use this API. Looks like MS need to change BT control panel applet for the BT4.0/BLE gadgets support.

Hope, we'll get it soon, with WP 8.1 official release but I'm unsure... Nokia pretended to have BT4.0/BLE support since last October but it's a fake (for the regular developers, not like an "Adidas" company).
Last edited by sensboston; 22nd May 2014 at 08:28 PM.
23rd May 2014, 02:19 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

10 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensboston

MS added GATT (generic attribute profile) API to WP 8.1 (similar to Win 8.1 API which one works perfectly) but unfortunately for us, we can't pair with BLE device now Without successful pairing we can't use this API. Looks like MS need to change BT control panel applet for the BT4.0/BLE gadgets support.

Hope, we'll get it soon, with WP 8.1 official release but I'm unsure... Nokia pretended to have BT4.0/BLE support since last October but it's a fake (for the regular developers, not like an "Adidas" company).

But do you think there are any troubles in communicating with the device (if paring and all works..)? Could it for example be that the data send over the bluetooth connection is encrypted? Or is it like a com connection and i can sniff it?
23rd May 2014, 03:53 PM   |  #4  
Flag Linz
Thanks Meter: 119

516 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by letalis

But do you think there are any troubles in communicating with the device (if paring and all works..)? Could it for example be that the data send over the bluetooth connection is encrypted? Or is it like a com connection and i can sniff it?

Nokia has it with a private API on WP8.0. WP8.1 does support it if the underlying hardware does so (so far it seems only the Lumia devices have the necessary hardware) and the updated drivers are there (they are not part of the Developer Preview so you'll have to wait for Lumia Cyan or buy a new device with BT4.0 LE).

As for how those gadgets work: I doubt that the majority of them would encrypt the data. But if you don't know the protocol and they don't use a documented profile I'd guess that it's rather hard to sniff.
23rd May 2014, 05:07 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

10 posts
So in short: if my huawei doest support bluetooth 4, it's a useless mission

Thanks for the info, perphaps the device is backwards compatible with my huawei (bluetooth 2.1) device?
23rd May 2014, 06:31 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Developer
Flag Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 426

1,513 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by letalis

So in short: if my huawei doest support bluetooth 4, it's a useless mission

Yep, it is.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread