FORUMS

Galaxy S6 & Edge get €100 Price Cut—New Models Incoming

Samsung has dropped the price of both the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge by … more

How To Port Fully Featured Sony Xperia Z4 Camera

Xperia Z4’s hardware may not impress, but its software is definitely … more

Experimental TWRP Available For Moto G 2015

XDA Senior Member squid2 has posted experimental builds of TWRP for the Moto G … more

Sunday Debate: How Can We Get a No-Compromise Phone?

Join us in a fun Sunday Debate on Compromises. Come with your opinions and … more

Create app. for bluetooth gadget

10 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By letalis, Junior Member on 21st May 2014, 01:44 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
All,

There are a lot of bluetooth gadgets on the market, only unfortunately mostly only for Iphone of android. Is it possible to write a custom application that communicates with the bluetooth device?

I am a windows phone developer, however I never worked with bluetooth before.

Device: Huawei W1 (windows phone 8.1 preview)
Gadget: Vidonn x5 (bluetooth 4.0 bracelet)

Any tips? Or anyone who had done such project before?

22nd May 2014, 07:26 PM |#2  
Recognized Developer
Flag Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 521

Donate to Me
More
MS added GATT (generic attribute profile) API to WP 8.1 (similar to Win 8.1 API which one works perfectly) but unfortunately for us, we can't pair with BLE device now Without successful pairing we can't use this API. Looks like MS need to change BT control panel applet for the BT4.0/BLE gadgets support.

Hope, we'll get it soon, with WP 8.1 official release but I'm unsure... Nokia pretended to have BT4.0/BLE support since last October but it's a fake (for the regular developers, not like an "Adidas" company).
Last edited by sensboston; 22nd May 2014 at 07:28 PM.
23rd May 2014, 01:19 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensboston

MS added GATT (generic attribute profile) API to WP 8.1 (similar to Win 8.1 API which one works perfectly) but unfortunately for us, we can't pair with BLE device now Without successful pairing we can't use this API. Looks like MS need to change BT control panel applet for the BT4.0/BLE gadgets support.

Hope, we'll get it soon, with WP 8.1 official release but I'm unsure... Nokia pretended to have BT4.0/BLE support since last October but it's a fake (for the regular developers, not like an "Adidas" company).

But do you think there are any troubles in communicating with the device (if paring and all works..)? Could it for example be that the data send over the bluetooth connection is encrypted? Or is it like a com connection and i can sniff it?
23rd May 2014, 02:53 PM |#4  
Flag Linz
Thanks Meter: 119

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by letalis

But do you think there are any troubles in communicating with the device (if paring and all works..)? Could it for example be that the data send over the bluetooth connection is encrypted? Or is it like a com connection and i can sniff it?

Nokia has it with a private API on WP8.0. WP8.1 does support it if the underlying hardware does so (so far it seems only the Lumia devices have the necessary hardware) and the updated drivers are there (they are not part of the Developer Preview so you'll have to wait for Lumia Cyan or buy a new device with BT4.0 LE).

As for how those gadgets work: I doubt that the majority of them would encrypt the data. But if you don't know the protocol and they don't use a documented profile I'd guess that it's rather hard to sniff.
23rd May 2014, 04:07 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
So in short: if my huawei doest support bluetooth 4, it's a useless mission

Thanks for the info, perphaps the device is backwards compatible with my huawei (bluetooth 2.1) device?
23rd May 2014, 05:31 PM |#6  
Recognized Developer
Flag Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 521

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by letalis

So in short: if my huawei doest support bluetooth 4, it's a useless mission

Yep, it is.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags