Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,773 Members 53,129 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Create app. for bluetooth gadget

Tip us?

letalis
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Create app. for bluetooth gadget

All,

There are a lot of bluetooth gadgets on the market, only unfortunately mostly only for Iphone of android. Is it possible to write a custom application that communicates with the bluetooth device?

I am a windows phone developer, however I never worked with bluetooth before.

Device: Huawei W1 (windows phone 8.1 preview)
Gadget: Vidonn x5 (bluetooth 4.0 bracelet)

Any tips? Or anyone who had done such project before?

sensboston
Old
(Last edited by sensboston; 22nd May 2014 at 07:28 PM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 418

DONATE TO ME
MS added GATT (generic attribute profile) API to WP 8.1 (similar to Win 8.1 API which one works perfectly) but unfortunately for us, we can't pair with BLE device now Without successful pairing we can't use this API. Looks like MS need to change BT control panel applet for the BT4.0/BLE gadgets support.

Hope, we'll get it soon, with WP 8.1 official release but I'm unsure... Nokia pretended to have BT4.0/BLE support since last October but it's a fake (for the regular developers, not like an "Adidas" company).

letalis
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensboston View Post
MS added GATT (generic attribute profile) API to WP 8.1 (similar to Win 8.1 API which one works perfectly) but unfortunately for us, we can't pair with BLE device now Without successful pairing we can't use this API. Looks like MS need to change BT control panel applet for the BT4.0/BLE gadgets support.

Hope, we'll get it soon, with WP 8.1 official release but I'm unsure... Nokia pretended to have BT4.0/BLE support since last October but it's a fake (for the regular developers, not like an "Adidas" company).
But do you think there are any troubles in communicating with the device (if paring and all works..)? Could it for example be that the data send over the bluetooth connection is encrypted? Or is it like a com connection and i can sniff it?

StevieBallz
Old
Thanks Meter 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by letalis View Post
But do you think there are any troubles in communicating with the device (if paring and all works..)? Could it for example be that the data send over the bluetooth connection is encrypted? Or is it like a com connection and i can sniff it?
Nokia has it with a private API on WP8.0. WP8.1 does support it if the underlying hardware does so (so far it seems only the Lumia devices have the necessary hardware) and the updated drivers are there (they are not part of the Developer Preview so you'll have to wait for Lumia Cyan or buy a new device with BT4.0 LE).

As for how those gadgets work: I doubt that the majority of them would encrypt the data. But if you don't know the protocol and they don't use a documented profile I'd guess that it's rather hard to sniff.
Nokia Lumia 920 (RM-821) - 8.0.10211.204 Stock HTC Titan - 7.10.8773.98 Stock

letalis
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
So in short: if my huawei doest support bluetooth 4, it's a useless mission

Thanks for the info, perphaps the device is backwards compatible with my huawei (bluetooth 2.1) device?

sensboston
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 418

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by letalis View Post
So in short: if my huawei doest support bluetooth 4, it's a useless mission
Yep, it is.
Tags
bluetooth 4.0, windows phone