[Q] sim-unlock and stock ruu - HTC One

22nd May 2014, 10:11 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
I have either a really easy question, or a series of more complicated (for me) ones. I have an HTC One that I want to use. It's currently running CM (installed through the one-click installation method at get.me). It's also currently locked to the Canadian carrier Telus. I want to use it on T-Mobile in the US. After some research, I just bought an unlock code. With a T-Mobile sim, upon booting it asks for an unlock PIN. I tried using the online purchased pin and it doesn't work. The seller of the pin said that it needs to be running a stock OS.

So I'm not sure what to do here. All I want is to enter the pin I bought and have the phone unlock. In its current state, the phone prompts for unlock pin, but doesn't work. So I figure I need to re-stock the phone, but I can't quite figure out how to do that. After several guides, I used a youtube video by called "How To Unroot and Flash your HTC One Stock!" by wwjoshdew. But it uses an RUU zip. I only found an RUU exe file that seems to match my phone's baseband and carrier. I followed the first few steps and loaded ADB and made the phone be "relocked" through the ADB command "fastboot oem lock". I then found an RUU that matches my baseband:

(From another xda thread that has a link for the RUU called "RUU M7 UL K44 SENSE55 MR TELUS WWE 4.19.661.8 R Radio 4T.24.3218.09 10.26.1718.01L Release 351500 Signed 2")

But when I try to run it (as admin), it just does some waity-mouse-becomes-clock stuff and then nothing. Computer is unchanged. Phone continues to sit in bootloader set in fastboot mode waiting for further instructions. I'm running Win 8.1. The only thing I can see if that the bootloader is 1.56 where many guides indicate it should be 1.55 or 1.54 or 1.44 or whatever. But the guide I'm using doesn't specify which. Is there something wrong with the RUU exe file? With my computer? With what?

ADB tells me this:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>fastboot getvar all
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.56.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4T.24.3218.09
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 4.19.661.8
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF
(bootloader) serialno: ...
(bootloader) imei: ...
(bootloader) meid: ...
(bootloader) product: m7_ul
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0712000
(bootloader) cidnum: TELUS001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 4329mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: off
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-4dab9d12
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.067s

Thanks!
22nd May 2014, 07:47 PM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
So now my phone doesn't completely boot. I was following a youtube description that had me relock my phone from fastboot (fastboot oem lock) and then use the RUU.exe file I found. It didn't work, so I started looking at other methods. It seemed that I needed to unlock the bootloader again, so I used the HTCDEV tool that has you download an "Unlock_code.bin" file from the HTC website. After doing that, the bootloader now says it's unlocked, but it won't boot into my CM version. I can unlock and relock my phone at will, and enter the bootloader, but it still doesn't boot to the main OS.

Any help? I just want to sim unlock it. If it's stock or not, I don't care anymore!

Thanks in advance!
22nd May 2014, 11:16 PM   |  #3  
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 1,117

2,889 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggaby

The seller of the pin said that it needs to be running a stock OS.

100% true, you must be stock to use a sim-unlock code. BUT some users reported sucessfully sim-unlocking using a code on ''close-to-stock'' rom like ARHD.

Quote:

but I can't quite figure out how to do that. After several guides, I used a youtube video

Better to ask here instead of following instructions from a youtube video. Many of them are outdated and doesn't consider your own situation, i.e you have s-off.

Quote:

by called "How To Unroot and Flash your HTC One Stock!" by wwjoshdew. But it uses an RUU zip. I only found an RUU exe

RUU,zip are manually flashed from fastboot RUU mode while RUU.exe is a more automated process.

Quote:

file that seems to match my phone's baseband

baseband is not that revealant to find a ruu, always check for proper CID and MID (and if S-ON (not your case), you can only use a ruu with same or higher fw version, i.e 4.19.661.8 and above)

Quote:

I followed the first few steps and loaded ADB and made the phone be "relocked" through the ADB command "fastboot oem lock". I then found an RUU that matches my baseband:

You don't need to re-lock bootloader to flash a ruu when you have S-OFF.

Quote:

I'm running Win 8.1.

Windows 8.1 is sometime tricky when flashing stuff and have some drivers issue, make sure your phone is properly detected in windows device manager when you are in bootloader (should say ''My HTC'') Better to use win7...

Quote:

Is there something wrong with the RUU exe file?

Maybe! Check MD5 value of your ruu, if it doesn't match, download it again.
If you can't use a exe ruu then try with a ruu.zip

Quote:

(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.56.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4T.24.3218.09
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 4.19.661.8
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF
(bootloader) product: m7_ul
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0712000
(bootloader) cidnum: TELUS001
(bootloader) security: off

use this ruu
MD5: af07ac44a72085de3de93c791866fb47

I know its a long post, if something is unclear, just ask here.
The Following User Says Thank You to alray For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd May 2014, 05:46 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
Thanks!

Turns out the RUU was corrupted. The MD5 checker works now. But now when I run the RUU.exe, it loads in but can't find the phone. It's still there in fastboot mode plugged in to the computer. I can issue fastboot commands and everything, but it still comes up with an error when trying to find the phone.

Quote:

Windows 8.1 is sometime tricky when flashing stuff and have some drivers issue, make sure your phone is properly detected in windows device manager when you are in bootloader (should say ''My HTC'') Better to use win7...

And here I thought 8.1 was almost the same as 7. My driver says "SAMSUNG Android ADB device". I didn't really worry so long as fastboot commands were working. So even though cmd sees it, that doesn't guarantee anything? I don't easily have access to a windows 7 machine right now. Some other threads seem to suggest that HTC Sync might help. True?
23rd May 2014, 06:49 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
So I installed HTC sense and then I got "My HTC" driver. Now it connects fine. It worked and my phone is now unlocked. Yay!

Thanks!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread