Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,898 Members 50,855 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Broken stock recovery

Tip us?

tshoulihane
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 80
Default Broken stock recovery

EU 1/8 2100, list 4.

If I boot to recovery (hold both buttons), and select recovery (power), I get a dead android with 3 Chinese characters. Connecting to the MTK droid tool:

Code:
 --->>> Connect to device <<<---
 --- ERROR  :  --- TotalBytesPerChunk Not Found. Set default Page/Spare=2048/64 !!!
 --- Unknown ROM structure, backup NOT possible! 
   --- ATTENTION!  Recovery doesn't suit this phone! 
 --- Unknown ROM structure, backup NOT possible!
All I've done so far is add su using framaroot (and that seems to have been successful). ADB reboot works, adb shell gives file not found for /system/bin/sh
HTC M8, SGS3 (nearly dead eMMC), TF201, Nook touch

LeighR
Old
(Last edited by LeighR; 23rd May 2014 at 07:02 AM.)
Thanks Meter 90
Yep. I'm on same version as you and also rooted with framaroot. I had the same thing. Waited a while, then pressed power button and it went into recovery.

When rebooting, it got stuck on the Omate screen. This is apparently normal and takes more than 10 mins but I got frustrated and did a battery pull. Had to reset permissions with SU cos it got messed up.

Also, go to settings > device > display > font size and make it small, cos Superuser screen will be larger than your screen and you can't easily give root permission (the buttons are off the screen)

Sent from my LG-V500 using XDA Free mobile app

tshoulihane
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighR View Post
Yep. I'm on same version as you and also rooted with framaroot. I had the same thing. Waited a while, then pressed power button and it went into recovery.

When rebooting, it got stuck on the Omate screen. This is apparently normal and takes more than 10 mins but I got frustrated and did a battery pull. Had to reset permissions with SU cos it got messed up.

Also, go to settings > device > display > font size and make it small, cos Superuser screen will be larger than your screen and you can't easily give root permission (the buttons are off the screen)

I think you're describing something different... Installing SU was fiddly, but is covered under the 'do a factory reset' before reboot. I actually deleted one of the SU apks, and that cleared it. What I'm observing is that the shipped recovery image is unusable.
HTC M8, SGS3 (nearly dead eMMC), TF201, Nook touch

LeighR
Old
Thanks Meter 90
Well I tried to enter recovery and also I got the dead android with Chinese characters, so it sounds similar