Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,803,209 Members 44,022 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Instant Reboot When Flashing Anything in TWRP or Stock Recovery?

Tip us?

naruto.ninjakid
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coug76 View Post
One of the reasons I was asking about charging and function in recovery and powered off is recovery uses a different kernel IIRC. In my mind you want to get your file system straight (odin 2x), take out variables (go with the simplest stock offering), and isolate potential failure points (battery or damaged components).

You are getting there. I know how nerve wracking it can be.

Hastily spouted for your befuddlement
How would I check for damaged components? I ordered 2 ANKER batteries so I should be able to test to see when they get here.
Enjoying My Devices
iPad Air 32GB WiFi | Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (Given Away/Retired) | OnePlus 64GB (T-Mobile) | Note 4 (Unreleased- Must Have ! )

Coug76
Old
Thanks Meter 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by naruto.ninjakid View Post
How would I check for damaged components? I ordered 2 ANKER batteries so I should be able to test to see when they get here.
Some things you can't know until you know. What is broken is sometimes one of them.

Did the phone get dropped or take a bath? Some other misadventure immediately prior to the device getting squirrely?

naruto.ninjakid
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Some things you can't know until you know. What is broken is sometimes one of them.

Did the phone get dropped or take a bath? Some other misadventure immediately prior to the device getting squirrely?

No nothing like that. I take really good care of my devices since I always sell them. Screen protector and UAG case on the phone.
Enjoying My Devices
iPad Air 32GB WiFi | Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (Given Away/Retired) | OnePlus 64GB (T-Mobile) | Note 4 (Unreleased- Must Have ! )

Coug76
Old
Thanks Meter 693
Quote:
No nothing like that. I take really good care of my devices since I always sell them. Screen protector and UAG case on the phone.
Which recovery again and were you using something to interface with it (eg. Rom manager)? Were you changing android versions?

naruto.ninjakid
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Which recovery again and were you using something to interface with it (eg. Rom manager)? Were you changing android versions?

I was using TWRP 2.7 and Was going from Android 4.4.2 SlimKAt to 4.3.1 JediMasterX2
Enjoying My Devices

Coug76
Old
Thanks Meter 693
Quote:
I was using TWRP 2.7 and Was going from Android 4.4.2 SlimKAt to 4.3.1 JediMasterX2
Man. I just got the e: error /data/data/blahblahblah for the second time. I attempted to flash a kernel and when I went to wipe cache and dalvik it failed with the e: error message.

Again it was in TWRP 2.7.0.1 going from KoT to JMX2 and I ended up not being able to recover via a BMD1. I hit it with UVALJ1 2x, then factory reset, and booted up. After that I Odined TWRP and restored from a backup. Took about 20 min all told. Then it was just updating apps and restoring SMS/MMS. Only bit I messed up on was remembering that the modem on ALJ1 is most definitely NOT LTE capable. That was simple and painless to remedy.

YMMV

naruto.ninjakid
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Man. I just got the e: error /data/data/blahblahblah for the second time. I attempted to flash a kernel and when I went to wipe cache and dalvik it failed with the e: error message.

Again it was in TWRP 2.7.0.1 going from KoT to JMX2 and I ended up not being able to recover via a BMD1. I hit it with UVALJ1 2x, then factory reset, and booted up. After that I Odined TWRP and restored from a backup. Took about 20 min all told. Then it was just updating apps and restoring SMS/MMS. Only bit I messed up on was remembering that the modem on ALJ1 is most definitely NOT LTE capable. That was simple and painless to remedy.

YMMV
Is this a twrp problem or is their something wrong with the phone?

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
Enjoying My Devices

naruto.ninjakid
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30
Red face Yes, it Lives !

Got My new Anker Batteries today and low and behold the phone booted up. Im charging it know. SO I guess it was a bad battery that affected the boot up. Going to do some diagnostics and check the phone out lol. The ROM was rooted so i used Goo Manager to flash TWRP. Was wondering since I saw you posted about TWRP, is TWRP having problems right now ? Should I use a different Recovery ?

Hopefully all the data and partitions functions well since they were giving me errors before. Maybe that is due to the battery as well. What do you think ?

@Coug76
Enjoying My Devices

Coug76
Old
Thanks Meter 693
Quote:
Got My new Anker Batteries today and low and behold the phone booted up. Im charging it know. SO I guess it was a bad battery that affected the boot up. Going to do some diagnostics and check the phone out lol. The ROM was rooted so i used Goo Manager to flash TWRP. Was wondering since I saw you posted about TWRP, is TWRP having problems right now ? Should I use a different Recovery ?

Hopefully all the data and partitions functions well since they were giving me errors before. Maybe that is due to the battery as well. What do you think ?

@Coug76
Awesome!

I'd say that when we are doing things in unintended (by Samsung) ways that things like battery condition and voltage matter greatly. The battery likely didn't allow the recovery/device/ROM to work properly.

I use twrp. I like twrp. I have a had two file system corruptions that had three things in common: 1) Me, 2) my phone, and 3) TWRP. I don't know enough about it to say one way or the other. I haven't heard anything about this involving other recoveries. Then again TWRP is the most common recovery for our device and will see more exposure to problems.

I have a hunch. A gut feeling. That's all. I still use TWRP though.

naruto.ninjakid
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Awesome!

I'd say that when we are doing things in unintended (by Samsung) ways that things like battery condition and voltage matter greatly. The battery likely didn't allow the recovery/device/ROM to work properly.

I use twrp. I like twrp. I have a had two file system corruptions that had three things in common: 1) Me, 2) my phone, and 3) TWRP. I don't know enough about it to say one way or the other. I haven't heard anything about this involving other recoveries. Then again TWRP is the most common recovery for our device and will see more exposure to problems.

I have a hunch. A gut feeling. That's all. I still use TWRP though.

Yeeh me to i like twrp as well. Running jedi masterx2 now.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
Enjoying My Devices

Tags
battery, brick, note 2, power, root