Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,756 Members 41,879 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

kindle fire 1st gen location does not work with new play service

Tip us?

miro101
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default kindle fire 1st gen location does not work with new play service

Hi,
im using the fire with wifi location with google play service 4.0.... this work.

but there is a new version 4.3... maps promots to install this update. eventually this gets autoupdated and location stops working.

after reflashing to the same rom with old gapps that inculdes the google play service 4.0... the wifi location works until the autoupdated moves it to 4.3.

how to fix this?

or disable the autoupdate (even if playstore auto update is disabled after sometime its upgraded)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miro101 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

miro101
Old
(Last edited by miro101; 12th May 2014 at 02:56 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
any news here?

4.0 and 4.2 of "google play service" has wifi location, and 4.3 und 4.4 of "google play service" has no wifi location
The Following User Says Thank You to miro101 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Idontwantausername
Old
(Last edited by Idontwantausername; 12th May 2014 at 12:54 PM.)
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by miro101 View Post
any news here?

4.0 and 4.2 of gapps has wifi location, and 4.3 und 4.4 of gapps has no wifi location
I didn't know this worked in previous versions.

I wonder if getSystemAvailableFeatures() returns android.hardware.location.gps on otter ROMs.

EDIT: Found this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....checkfeatures
I'll try it when I get home.

miro101
Old
(Last edited by miro101; 12th May 2014 at 03:09 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
thats a nice idea!

in my previous post i misused the term gapps. i meant "google play service"

so again:
4.0 and 4.2 of "google play service" has location working with wifi, and 4.3 und 4.4 of "google play service" has no wifi location.

example google maps:
with 4.0 and 4.2 of "google play service" there is the blue dot for location on the map and you can see a symbol on the notification bar.

with 4.3 and 4.4 of "google play service" there is NO blue dot on the map. after clicking on the location button a message shows "searching for location" but nothing follows. In the notification bar there is SOMETIMES the symbol for location. but a location never shows up.

whats interesting with 4.3+ in the "google play service" location settings googlemaps in shows as the last app to request location. it seems as the get location works but the return handle from system to app is broken

lovejoy777
Old
Thanks Meter 1789

DONATE TO ME
what rom guy's? I thought it was just my slimkat build with this problem, Ive been looking for a fix myself (but to no avail ) nice you have pinpointed where it goes wrong.
Gnex: Dreams 4.4 KitKat
Kindle Fire: OtterX SlimKat & 777Kernel
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2747564
Nexus 5: SlimKat

If you like my work or think I have helped please hit the thanks/donate buttons