Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,817 Members 54,016 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Root/Custom Rom Help LG LW690 (Optimus C)

Tip us?

DiscombobulatedLand
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Root/Custom Rom Help LG LW690 (Optimus C)

Hello,

I am new to the forums and android in general. Anyways, I am wondering if any one could advise me on the best steps to root and update my oldish android phone. It is currently on android 2.2.1 and has no support for 2.2.3 which is why I believe I need a custom rom.. I have looked thru numerous threads and sources but have yet to find a method i fully understand and trust, as i hear it.. you guys are very helpful and i am hoping that is true cause im about to pull my hair out at this point

Thanks in advance for any help, its appreciated very much.

TheArc
Old
(Last edited by TheArc; 22nd May 2014 at 11:52 AM.)
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 1566
Its great that you are showing interest in this. (Edited out, the device is stated in title xD).

Rooting shouldn't be as hard at installing a custom ROM. Older devices are rarely supported nowadays, unless it's really popular like the HTC Wildfire or something.

The best way to root your Optimus C is by using GingerBreak. Many users that have your device use that.

Info on other useful guides (rooting,cwm,ROMs) go here - http://androidforums.com/optimus-c-all-things-root/

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
iOS7 Kik Messenger | Svelte UI CM11 Theme | Active Launcher

DiscombobulatedLand
Old
(Last edited by DiscombobulatedLand; 22nd May 2014 at 04:55 PM.) Reason: more info
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for taking the time to repond/help. Anyways, after some more research I think I found a easy root solution.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=13086954

This method seems both easy and very sraight forward. Could any one please confirm? Id just like a lil insight before taking the plunge. lol

Note* I would link the posts stating this does work to gain root access but i cant post outside links untill i have 10 posts on XDA.

TheArc
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 1566
Don't worry, the root method should work just fine.

DiscombobulatedLand
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Ok, got it rooted

The next step would be to download rom manager and make a custom recovery using clockworkmod?

Btw~ incase someone is confused in the future. The root procedure was a few simple steps.

Before doing these steps make sure usb debugging is active. Also temp disable your anti-virus as it will flag the apk as a virus, This is a false positive.

1. Download the file from the first post in the thread. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1049944. (the easy way for me "since i don't have a usb cord" was to click the QR code link on the first post and scan it with one of the many free qr scanner apps from the play store.

2. Navigate to the download and install the APK.

3. Open Gingerbreak.

4. Click "root" and wait for your device to reboot. Thats all "if the process takes more then ten minutes reboot your device and run it again"

5. You can go ahead and uinstall/delete the apk once you have sucessfully rooted.

TheArc
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 1566
The next step would be to download and install the devices custom recovery.

Don't just install any, again go to that site I had provided you with earlier that have the stock and custom .imgs with steps on how to install it.

DiscombobulatedLand
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Ok so.. I have a problem, I was about to setup a custom recovery when all of a sudden Super User decided to update and now im a little lost. I have still have root acess and all of my root only apps are working perfectly fine. but every time i use a root app or reboot my phone since the SU update i get a message saying my binary files need to be updated. I try to update them and it fails every time, I have looked though a few threads and the only fix i could find was to use busybox installer. But.. busybox will not install on my device. How do i go forward with this? I don't want to mess anything up.. specially since i just thought i had it all figured out.

DiscombobulatedLand
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Nevermind, I guess i found a decent work around, I uninstalled the update and forced it to not auto update. I don't know if this is a bad practice but it seems to have solved the issue.

dothanhtri
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I like LG' phones. I am using LG P500 and very like...