Post Reply

[Q] Problems with AT&T update from 4.1.1

OP southernblonde

21st May 2014, 03:27 PM   |  #11  
OP Member
Flag Myrtle Beach
Thanks Meter: 6
 
80 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry2999

Please don't give up on your phone yet. It isn't that bad yet. The dreaded error message you are getting means that your recovery system is compromised. Also, once rooted, your phone stays that until specifically unrooted. Even a factory reset will not remove SuperSU and Mobile Odin and the definitive solution to un-rooting is to flash a complete stock image. However, you may be able to fix the recovery issue and get updates in a number of ways. First, you could reflash a complete stock 4.1.1 image via Odin. This will update all system partitions including recovery and should deliver a new and working recovery partition. It will also remove root and make it possible to get an OTA update to 4.3JB. You can download the Odin flashable file from Sammobile.com or from the following link ... http://www.4shared.com/get/zAmWJ54J/...TDLK3_ATT.html
Unzip and extract the *.tar file and flash via Odin.
The second solution would be to use Mobile Odin or Desktop Odin v3.09 to flash a new recovery partition. You'll need the same *.tar file for UCDLK3 but you'd only need to load the recovery partition. If this is successful, you can try the manual update process again.
The final solution would be to flash custom recovery via Odin and then flash the 4.3JB stock restore image via (custom) recovery. You could do the same 2-step manual update via custom recovery. However, a complete stock restore image is available for 4.3 which can be flashed via custom recovery. Please see the first page of the thread below ...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2658486

You can find the TWRP custom recovery Odin flashable file for your device via the link below ...
http://techerrata.com/file/twrp2/d2a....3.1-d2att.tar

Hope this finally solves it.

I finally did get it fixed last night, actually by one of your solutions there. I had googled the error message (status 7) and I found a thread here on XDA where someone said that because I had used Titanium to delete bloatware when I got the phone, I wouldn't be able to update until it looked right out of the box so I downloaded Odin and flashed 4.1.1. again. Thank God I didn't brick the phone with everything I did to it yesterday. LOL It was finally able to flash 4.1.2 then 4.3. Its disturbing all the threads I see going back to 4.1.1 from 4.3. Is there a huge issue? I'm going to try to find a stable KitKat to flash to. Thanks again for your help!
22nd May 2014, 07:54 PM   |  #12  
Senior Member
Atlanta, GA
Thanks Meter: 74
 
354 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernblonde

I finally did get it fixed last night, actually by one of your solutions there. I had googled the error message (status 7) and I found a thread here on XDA where someone said that because I had used Titanium to delete bloatware when I got the phone, I wouldn't be able to update until it looked right out of the box so I downloaded Odin and flashed 4.1.1. again. Thank God I didn't brick the phone with everything I did to it yesterday. LOL It was finally able to flash 4.1.2 then 4.3. Its disturbing all the threads I see going back to 4.1.1 from 4.3. Is there a huge issue? I'm going to try to find a stable KitKat to flash to. Thanks again for your help!

Glad to know it's now working. I think there's more fuss than fact to the 4.3 question. As far as performance and functionality goes, Touchwiz 4.3 is a major improvement on the older Jelly Bean versions. The main problem, of course, is that the bootloader can not be safely downgraded once you are on 4.3. This is only a problem if you need to free unlock your phone which is only possible on 4.1.1. Otherwise, you can safely flash a KitKat based custom ROM. I would only advise you stick with a stable like you've said and be sure it's one that won't try to mess with your bootloader. Most custom ROMs don't but it wouldn't hurt to make sure.
22nd May 2014, 11:31 PM   |  #13  
OP Member
Flag Myrtle Beach
Thanks Meter: 6
 
80 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry2999

Glad to know it's now working. I think there's more fuss than fact to the 4.3 question. As far as performance and functionality goes, Touchwiz 4.3 is a major improvement on the older Jelly Bean versions. The main problem, of course, is that the bootloader can not be safely downgraded once you are on 4.3. This is only a problem if you need to free unlock your phone which is only possible on 4.1.1. Otherwise, you can safely flash a KitKat based custom ROM. I would only advise you stick with a stable like you've said and be sure it's one that won't try to mess with your bootloader. Most custom ROMs don't but it wouldn't hurt to make sure.

Do you have a recommendation for a stable Kit Kat rom?
Last edited by southernblonde; 23rd May 2014 at 02:36 AM.
23rd May 2014, 04:47 AM   |  #14  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
9 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
I am trying to upgrade to 4.3 on an unlocked, rooted SGH-I747 that I am using internationally (in New Zealand now); however, when I tried to flash a clean 4.1.1 so I could update to 4.3, doing a factory reset and cache wipe, I successfully load the firmware with Odin but then it won't boot past the blue pulsing samsung logo I think I need to flash a new recovery partition, as you suggest below, but I don't know how to do that.

Can anyone help?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry2999

Please don't give up on your phone yet. It isn't that bad yet. The dreaded error message you are getting means that your recovery system is compromised. Also, once rooted, your phone stays that until specifically unrooted. Even a factory reset will not remove SuperSU and Mobile Odin and the definitive solution to un-rooting is to flash a complete stock image. However, you may be able to fix the recovery issue and get updates in a number of ways. First, you could reflash a complete stock 4.1.1 image via Odin. This will update all system partitions including recovery and should deliver a new and working recovery partition. It will also remove root and make it possible to get an OTA update to 4.3JB. You can download the Odin flashable file from Sammobile.com or from the following link ... http://www.4shared.com/get/zAmWJ54J/...TDLK3_ATT.html
Unzip and extract the *.tar file and flash via Odin.
The second solution would be to use Mobile Odin or Desktop Odin v3.09 to flash a new recovery partition. You'll need the same *.tar file for UCDLK3 but you'd only need to load the recovery partition. If this is successful, you can try the manual update process again.
The final solution would be to flash custom recovery via Odin and then flash the 4.3JB stock restore image via (custom) recovery. You could do the same 2-step manual update via custom recovery. However, a complete stock restore image is available for 4.3 which can be flashed via custom recovery. Please see the first page of the thread below ...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2658486

You can find the TWRP custom recovery Odin flashable file for your device via the link below ...
http://techerrata.com/file/twrp2/d2a....3.1-d2att.tar

Hope this finally solves it.

23rd May 2014, 03:34 PM   |  #15  
Senior Member
Atlanta, GA
Thanks Meter: 74
 
354 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernblonde

Do you have a recommendation for a stable Kit Kat rom?

I'm not too much into customs. You could, however, take a loot at the new AOSP ROMS or CM 10x...

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhyde

I am trying to upgrade to 4.3 on an unlocked, rooted SGH-I747 that I am using internationally (in New Zealand now); however, when I tried to flash a clean 4.1.1 so I could update to 4.3, doing a factory reset and cache wipe, I successfully load the firmware with Odin but then it won't boot past the blue pulsing samsung logo I think I need to flash a new recovery partition, as you suggest below, but I don't know how to do that.

Can anyone help?

You could have installed directly from recovery without first trying to flash a fresh 4.1.1. This would have only been necessary if your 4.1.1 wasn't working right in some way. Try booting into recovery and then doing a wipe/reset. If your phone boots successfully after this, then try the 2-step update -first to 4.1.2 and then to 4.3 via the instructions posted earlier in this thread. Please let me know if this works.
The Following User Says Thank You to Larry2999 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd May 2014, 11:27 PM   |  #16  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
9 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry2999

I'm not too much into customs. You could, however, take a loot at the new AOSP ROMS or CM 10x...

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 AM ----------



You could have installed directly from recovery without first trying to flash a fresh 4.1.1. This would have only been necessary if your 4.1.1 wasn't working right in some way. Try booting into recovery and then doing a wipe/reset. If your phone boots successfully after this, then try the 2-step update -first to 4.1.2 and then to 4.3 via the instructions posted earlier in this thread. Please let me know if this works.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried wiping again from recovery but I get errors (see this thread I started for the details).

-pf
24th May 2014, 01:36 AM   |  #17  
Senior Member
Atlanta, GA
Thanks Meter: 74
 
354 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhyde

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried wiping again from recovery but I get errors (see this thread I started for the details).

-pf

Since you are apparently successful with Odin, can you try flashing an original stock image rather than the modified (pre-rooted) version you are using. You may download the original version from sammobile.com or do an internet search for it. The zip should be close to 1Gb in size but please make sure to verify the MD5 prior to flashing.
24th May 2014, 05:25 AM   |  #18  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
9 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry2999

I'm not too much into customs. You could, however, take a loot at the new AOSP ROMS or CM 10x...

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 AM ----------



You could have installed directly from recovery without first trying to flash a fresh 4.1.1. This would have only been necessary if your 4.1.1 wasn't working right in some way. Try booting into recovery and then doing a wipe/reset. If your phone boots successfully after this, then try the 2-step update -first to 4.1.2 and then to 4.3 via the instructions posted earlier in this thread. Please let me know if this works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry2999

Since you are apparently successful with Odin, can you try flashing an original stock image rather than the modified (pre-rooted) version you are using. You may download the original version from sammobile.com or do an internet search for it. The zip should be close to 1Gb in size but please make sure to verify the MD5 prior to flashing.

I did try an original stock, originally. I only tried the rooted stock after the original didn't work (got stuck with pulsing blue samsung logo). I'll try the one from sammobile.com (but I think that's where I got it the first time) and report back after I get off work late tonight.

-p

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes