Early Lollipop Ports for Micromax A116 and A117

It feels like it was only yesterday when Google announced the mysterious Android L.After … more

Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

ToqAN Fixes Android 5.0 Notification Bug on Qualcomm Toq

The Qualcomm Toq is probably one of the lesser known smartwatches on the market … more

How to Root and Unlock the Google Nexus 6 on a Mac – XDA TV

In the past, XDA Developer TV Producer droidmodd3rx has shown you how to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] The android "Encryption" mystery

OP zozew

8th January 2014, 10:09 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2

81 posts
OK lets hope i got this in to the right forum,

Ive search high and low and come to the conclusion that android in general sucks big balls when it comes to encryption your phone. In general somewhere after gingerbread android added some security by adding a device encryption in your Security setting that encrypts your phones (internal) storage and ROM partitions and thats great even if you have to enter your full 16-32 character encryption password/pin every time you unlock your phone, your phone is somewhat secure, that is if you dont use a SD card. All the info on the SD card is still totally open.

So to my mystery question: why is this Encryption option missing from so many ROMS?? is it only Samsung that cares about Encryption and gives many of its models full encryption...I really dont get it.

I have a Samsung galaxy s3 clone that has this Encryption and its great, i was just about to buy a really sweet Chinese phone with all the bells and whistles but it lacks the Encryption option like so many others famous and less famous brands....Why...why......why...

any thoughts, answers or are you just as flabbergasted as me??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	encryption.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	2501896  
Last edited by zozew; 8th January 2014 at 10:26 AM. Reason: adding jpg
22nd April 2014, 11:53 PM   |  #2  
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
More
Yes, and flabbergasted that so little people are talking about good solutions for encrypting all data. For example the lack of replies to this post

I am using Slimkat Rom with also the encrypt sd card option missing.

Isn't there a way like updating an apk or something to get the encrypt SD Card option back?
23rd April 2014, 12:50 AM   |  #3  

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zozew

OK lets hope i got this in to the right forum,

Ive search high and low and come to the conclusion that android in general sucks big balls when it comes to encryption your phone. In general somewhere after gingerbread android added some security by adding a device encryption in your Security setting that encrypts your phones (internal) storage and ROM partitions and thats great even if you have to enter your full 16-32 character encryption password/pin every time you unlock your phone, your phone is somewhat secure, that is if you dont use a SD card. All the info on the SD card is still totally open.

So to my mystery question: why is this Encryption option missing from so many ROMS?? is it only Samsung that cares about Encryption and gives many of its models full encryption...I really dont get it.

I have a Samsung galaxy s3 clone that has this Encryption and its great, i was just about to buy a really sweet Chinese phone with all the bells and whistles but it lacks the Encryption option like so many others famous and less famous brands....Why...why......why...

any thoughts, answers or are you just as flabbergasted as me??

And the privacy of yout data from within Android? As a Blackberry user, I'm used in allowing what I let and what I don't let the apps access!
23rd April 2014, 03:29 AM   |  #4  
OP Member

81 posts
I know it's crazy, but look at this screen shot and tell me your not jealous... It's from my galaxy s3 running stock 4.3, all custom roms omit the sdcard options and Samsung is the only brand I've seen adding this option

Sent from my SC-03E using xda app-developers app
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1398216568297.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	2702856  
23rd April 2014, 10:27 AM   |  #5  
Flag Amsterdam

3 posts
More
So really? No custom roms with the encrypt SD Card option?
23rd April 2014, 11:21 AM   |  #6  
OP Member

81 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouwawa

So really? No custom roms with the encrypt SD Card option?

I really hope there is, but i havent seen it yet. only thing would be to buy a samsung. im not sure if there is some special hardware samsung is using for the encryption part, if not i dont get it not being availabe in other roms.

And you are so right about the Android community not commenting or even mentioning the lack of encryption. Its almost like people dont want it....which to me sound totally ludicrous. who wouldnt want their data secure in this day and age....right??? I mean iphones are secure since....the stone ages.....common guys wake up, make some noise!!! we want encryption!!!!

that was my 5cents worth haha
23rd April 2014, 01:16 PM   |  #7  

2 posts
Quote:

I really hope there is, but i havent seen it yet. only thing would be to buy a samsung. im not sure if there is some special hardware samsung is using for the encryption part, if not i dont get it not being availabe in other roms.

And you are so right about the Android community not commenting or even mentioning the lack of encryption. Its almost like people dont want it....which to me sound totally ludicrous. who wouldnt want their data secure in this day and age....right??? I mean iphones are secure since....the stone ages.....common guys wake up, make some noise!!! we want encryption!!!!

that was my 5cents worth haha

Don't forget, if you encrypt data, you better have a backup of it!! Maybe that's the reason why only a few people use encryption features both on PCs and mobile devices!
2nd May 2014, 02:58 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 417

1,163 posts
More
Quote:

I know it's crazy, but look at this screen shot and tell me your not jealous... It's from my galaxy s3 running stock 4.3, all custom roms omit the sdcard options and Samsung is the only brand I've seen adding this option

Sent from my SC-03E using xda app-developers app

I attached a pic, the option is available on HTC One M8 though ironically enough it's not in the security settings, it's actually in the storage overview, but the ability to encrypt it IS there

Sorry, I stumbled upon this thread while looking for a way to encrypt and protect specific folders on the SD Card as the young ones use the device too and I'd rather protect work related and some "vulgar so-called funny pics" I get sent from BBM, Hangouts etc. I just had to reply on this thread though because the encryption option is on at least the new HTC.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	htc0nem8.png
Views:	41
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	2721351  
24th May 2014, 04:05 AM   |  #9  
OP Member

81 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerndM14

I attached a pic, the option is available on HTC One M8 though ironically enough it's not in the security settings, it's actually in the storage overview, but the ability to encrypt it IS there

Sorry, I stumbled upon this thread while looking for a way to encrypt and protect specific folders on the SD Card as the young ones use the device too and I'd rather protect work related and some "vulgar so-called funny pics" I get sent from BBM, Hangouts etc. I just had to reply on this thread though because the encryption option is on at least the new HTC.

Wow finally another handset with encryption, so what about the internal memory?can you encrypt the phone? heard rumors the next android version will be more secure...lets hope so...
24th May 2014, 08:59 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 417

1,163 posts
More
Quote:

Wow finally another handset with encryption, so what about the internal memory?can you encrypt the phone? heard rumors the next android version will be more secure...lets hope so...

Option is there to encrypt internal storage yes.

Yeah let's hope it's more secure and that google doesn't put in backdoors while playing pretend that the security is off the charts "good"..

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread