Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,510 Members 55,029 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Downgrade to 4.3 from 4.4.2 (or Root)

Tip us?

The Idealist
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Downgrade to 4.3 from 4.4.2 (or Root)

Hey guys,
So I recently updated to KitKat 4.4.2 from 4.3 whatever, and it's been really nice. However, my battery length plummeted, and w/o root, I do not know what to do. So, I'm asking to see if anyone knows how to either root the XT926 or downgrade to 4.3?
Thanks

SamuriHL
Old
Thanks Meter 1200
Neither are possible.

Samsung S4 Google Play Edition
Moto X Developer Edition

iBolski
Old
(Last edited by iBolski; 23rd May 2014 at 03:29 PM.)
Thanks Meter 402
Even with an unlocked bootloader, you would you never get to 4.3 because 4.3 was never released for this phone.

As for battery, when you updated to Kit Kat, did you do so with all your apps installed, etc and not do a Factory Data Reset?

I would really encourage users to do the following before taking the OTA:
  1. Backup whatever data you can to your PC or external SD card (pictures, etc). If you are rooted (and have an unlocked bootloader), then use a tool such as Titanium Backup to backup your apps and their settings. If you're not rooted and/or have a locked bootloader, then you won't be able to retain your app settings with TiBu. Sorry. That's the glory of having root I guess.
  2. Do a factory data reset BEFORE taking the upgrade. This will wipe out your user data completely, including application data.
  3. Apply the OTA and profit.

I have found my battery life is just as good, if not better, than under JB. People who are having issues with Wifi, Blue Tooth, battery life, usually have not done a FDR on their phones, so you have old cache sitting around, etc, that bogs down the phone as well as causes a host of issues.

The same holds true when upgrading Windows on your PC (for those that use Windows). I always backup user profiles and then I go and do a complete fresh install. There is so much gunk that gets left behind that it's just best to wipe the slate clean and start anew. The same goes for upgrading the OS on your mobile phones, especially when going from JB to KK.

KK is much better than JB, especially on this phone. No way I go back to JB. No way, no how.
Please hit "Thanks" if this post helped you.

RAZR HD XT926 (unlocked)
32gb Nexus 7
Chromecast
The Following User Says Thank You to iBolski For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

150kwh
Old
(Last edited by 150kwh; 24th May 2014 at 04:35 AM.) Reason: unlock = yay
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBolski View Post
  1. Backup whatever data you can to your PC or external SD card (pictures, etc). If you are rooted (and have an unlocked bootloader), then use a tool such as Titanium Backup to backup your apps and their settings. If you're not rooted and/or have a locked bootloader, then you won't be able to retain your app settings with TiBu. Sorry. That's the glory of having root I guess.
  2. Do a factory data reset BEFORE taking the upgrade. This will wipe out your user data completely, including application data.
To be clear, you can restore apps with TiBu without root? Because root = bye bye after OTA, I've only used TiBu with root..Thx

Edit, reading on Motopocalypse now, very helpful thread pages 3 4 5

Zeljko1234
Old
Thanks Meter 1846
No soup for you without root
Motorola Droid Razr Maxx HD unlocked with optimized CM11
LG G Pad 8.3 unlocked with LINARO/SABERMOD CyanogenMod 11
Motorola Atrix 4G (AT&T) unlocked with (MROM CM7) CM9 with Polish(ed) 3.1.10 kernel
Nexus 7 unlocked with CM11 my own build

BinarySauce
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBolski View Post
Even with an unlocked bootloader, you would you never get to 4.3 because 4.3 was never released for this phone.

As for battery, when you updated to Kit Kat, did you do so with all your apps installed, etc and not do a Factory Data Reset?

I would really encourage users to do the following before taking the OTA:

I have found my battery life is just as good, if not better, than under JB. People who are having issues with Wifi, Blue Tooth, battery life, usually have not done a FDR on their phones, so you have old cache sitting around, etc, that bogs down the phone as well as causes a host of issues.

The same holds true when upgrading Windows on your PC (for those that use Windows). I always backup user profiles and then I go and do a complete fresh install. There is so much gunk that gets left behind that it's just best to wipe the slate clean and start anew. The same goes for upgrading the OS on your mobile phones, especially when going from JB to KK.

KK is much better than JB, especially on this phone. No way I go back to JB. No way, no how.
I did a factory reset after I upgraded, doesn't that do the same thing?