Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,803,209 Members 44,171 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is this tablet recoverable? wants encryption password on boot

Tip us?

arsenic0
Old
(Last edited by arsenic0; 22nd April 2014 at 03:45 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Is this tablet recoverable? wants encryption password on boot

I have the possibility of buying a hdx on Craigslist for cheap that is listed as broken. But the error they get on booting the device is that it wants him to type in a password to decrypt storage. I have seen this issue searching Google but everyone says to factory reset, can you do that without being able to boot into android by holding various button combos like other Android phones? Or I think I can root it to fix it? From reading if the device at least powers on this is likely possible.

The owner has given up on it it seems and I can score it cheap but wanted your input if this is a known issue that can't be fixed, like if he failed to root it and is now trying to pawn it off.

jjrizzelcincy
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenic0 View Post
I have the possibility of buying a hdx on Craigslist for cheap that is listed as broken. But the error they get on booting the device is that it wants him to type in a password to decrypt storage. I have seen this issue searching Google but everyone says to factory reset, can you do that without being able to boot into android by holding various button combos like other Android phones? Or I think I can root it to fix it? From reading if the device at least powers on this is likely possible.

The owner has given up on it it seems and I can score it cheap but wanted your input if this is a known issue that can't be fixed, like if he failed to root it and is now trying to pawn it off.
power + vol up to boot to recovery

iMJets
Old
Thanks Meter 47

DONATE TO ME
if you can get one for cheap there a pretty good tablet, and if you can get one with lower firmware the better.

Devices:
Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 3 X-NOTE 16.0
Amazon Kindle Fire HD - Kinology 7.4.8
Ouya - CM 10 Experimental.
Samsung Galaxy Tab S - Stock Rooted

Retired:
Samsung Moment - 4.0 Test Rom
Sprint Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch CM 10.2 Nightlys
Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 Android 4.2.2 Dirty Unicorns v3.6
Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 CM 11 Nightlys
Amazon Kindle Fire HDX - Stock Rooted
Nook HD + - CM 11 EMMC

aldokribo
Old
Thanks Meter 0
i have same issue with you. my kindle ask password to decrypt the device. i already tried to recover by holds uppower button + volume up but didn;t change anything. i don't know what to do