Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,173 Members 40,529 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Stock Music App songs stuttering slightly

Tip us?

wtoj34
Old
Thanks Meter 139
I have an obnoxious stutter on the Netflix app through speakers and headphone jack. Noticed it through play movies today also. Reset did nothing. Sadly it isn't noticeable for it to pass through the replacement check

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
If I help any one any where at any time, please let me know by clicking thanks!
Current devices: HTC ONE M8, Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Xoom Former devices: Droid X2, Droid Charge, Note 2,

broprah
Old
Thanks Meter 61
I get the occasional skip when streaming over bluetooth from my SD card. I'd suspect it has more to do with the I/O read ahead or scheduler than anything. It seems to happen whether or not the screen is on, so I don't think it's a processor hang or anything like that.

compir99
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I hope this update helps anyone with the same issue.

*knock on wood

I noticed that the skips were less and far between if I was playing music over Bluetooth using the internal memory. So what I did is take another SD card and played music on that. This resulted in no skips that I could tell. Perhaps it might be a defective SD card or bad format so I reformatted the SD card completely (full not quick) and so far I'm having less skips in music. I ordered up the 128 GB SanDisk card & hopefully I won't have any skips using that card.

I'm thinking once we get a permanent root & S-Off we can try putting AOSP on our M8s & see if that eliminates the issue completely.

If anybody else can share any suggestions on what to try, that would be great!

furious78
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet View Post
Have not had this issue with my Verizon M8. I have all my music (about 20gb) on the sd card, and normally play through the 3.5mm jack.

The one thing I did notice is, with my old htc phone, when playing music and a notification came in, it would interrupt the music and play the notification. I liked this because I would know to look at my phone. With this one, there is NO interruption of the music. So I can be in my car for a half hour playing music, and not know of any texts or emails unless I look at the phone. Anyone know a solution?
This is the problem I'm experiencing that brought me to this thread. Did you ever find a solution? Both Google Play Music and Stock HTC Music play over the notification. My podcast app, Pocket Casts, appropriately gives focus to notification sounds every time.

broprah
Old
Thanks Meter 61
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2732264

same problem, fix seems to be something to do with viper rom.
The Following User Says Thank You to broprah For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

furious78
Old
(Last edited by furious78; 23rd May 2014 at 08:02 PM.)
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by broprah View Post
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2732264

same problem, fix seems to be something to do with viper rom.
In sum, the potential fix is to change the read-ahead buffer from 512 to 1024, and the guy said it worked for several days with no further updates. He happened to be running Viper when he made the changes... apparently it uses the stock kernel. I am running CleanROM with stock kernel, so I just installed trickster and changed my read-ahead buffer to 1024. I'll report back if that makes a difference. There was one follow-up comment that it didn't make a difference in the stock ROM (edit - ahh... from broprah... any update to that?).

FWIW, I have been noticing this issue a lot BUT I only get it when streaming to my BT earbuds (with HTC Music, Google Play Music, and Pocket Casts). This stuttering does not happen when I use wired earbuds or playing over BT in my car. I understand the scenarios are different for everyone, but that's my own situation.

broprah
Old
Thanks Meter 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by furious78 View Post
In sum, the potential fix is to change the read-ahead buffer from 512 to 1024, and the guy said it worked for several days with no further updates. He happened to be running Viper when he made the changes... apparently it uses the stock kernel. I am running CleanROM with stock kernel, so I just installed trickster and changed my read-ahead buffer to 1024. I'll report back if that makes a difference. There was one follow-up comment that it didn't make a difference in the stock ROM (edit - ahh... from broprah... any update to that?).

FWIW, I have been noticing this issue a lot BUT I only get it when streaming to my BT earbuds (with HTC Music, Google Play Music, and Pocket Casts). This stuttering does not happen when I use wired earbuds or playing over BT in my car. I understand the scenarios are different for everyone, but that's my own situation.
I ended up flashing Viper and I haven't experienced any stuttering since. In poking around, I see that changing the read ahead in the built in system tools only changes the internal read ahead. Further poking revealed that the external read ahead is preset to 4096kb, which could be the solution in the end.

furious78
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by broprah View Post
I ended up flashing Viper and I haven't experienced any stuttering since. In poking around, I see that changing the read ahead in the built in system tools only changes the internal read ahead. Further poking revealed that the external read ahead is preset to 4096kb, which could be the solution in the end.
I don't see a differentiation in Trickster. Do you know if that's just a Viper setting?

broprah
Old
Thanks Meter 61
I was using FauxTool to check and change settings, regardless of kernel.

furious78
Old
Thanks Meter 9
No such luck with my read ahead change. :/

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk