Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,637 Members 39,891 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

k2_CL RUU freezing @ black HTC screen

Tip us?

tootone
Old
(Last edited by tootone; 24th May 2014 at 07:30 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modding.MyMind View Post
What shows on your device screen when doing it?

Also, if you are S-On and was on 4.2.2 prior to your device giving problems then it will fail because the RUU is 4.1.2 and would require a "downgrade" which can only be achieved if S-Off.

With that said, I went back up on this thread and saw you are having problems with TWRP. Make sure you are using the correct one. Should be 2.7.0.2d or 2.7.0.2c. If attempting to flash another version and you are on 4.2.2 then you will get boot problems with the recovery.

In addition, make sure your bootloader isn't locked if S-On while messing with TWRP or that will cause a security problem on your device.

Sent from my C525c using Tapatalk
bootloader is unlocked but I am s-on maybe that is causing all of my problems. I will see what I can do to remedy that. Well nevermind, I can' t s-off without a working rom, and I can't get a working rom without s-off.

Modding.MyMind
Old
Thanks Meter 1424

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootone View Post
bootloader is unlocked but I am s-on maybe that is causing all of my problems. I will see what I can do to remedy that. Well nevermind, I can' t s-off without a working rom, and I can't get a working rom without s-off.
Hmm, well, there is one thing I know for sure and that it that you are definitely able to restore your phone, so I'm pretty sure that some attempts being made In regards to trying other methods are possibly not being done exactly like they should.

This device is VERY hard to wreck and I have done LOTS to my phone and have always been able to bring it back to life in 5 minutes or less.

tootone
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 43
I am fairly certain I am doing it right. My mistake here was not doing a backup before I flashed anything. Let me go through what I had tried.

The RUU, I run it with my bootloader locked and I get error 158, I run it unlocked, I still get error 158.

I have tried the rom from the RUU, fastboot into ruu mode, transfer it, and I get an error

I tried putting PL80IMG in the root of my sd, it seems to flash correctly but it boots in white htc quietly brilliant screen. and flash boot.img for that rom.

I restore a rom via TWRP boots into white htc quietly brilliant screen.

and countless other things.

old.splatterhand
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1536

DONATE TO ME
What about the other backups for boost (older than 4.2.2), does none of them work?
Main Devices:

- HTC One (M8)
S-Off | Insert Coin | ElementalX | TWRP

- HTC One SV
Index Thread: Search and find all what belongs to HTC One SV

Other devices: HTC Desire S | Asus TF 101 | HTC HD mini

Modding.MyMind
Old
Thanks Meter 1424

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootone View Post
I am fairly certain I am doing it right. My mistake here was not doing a backup before I flashed anything. Let me go through what I had tried.

The RUU, I run it with my bootloader locked and I get error 158, I run it unlocked, I still get error 158.

I have tried the rom from the RUU, fastboot into ruu mode, transfer it, and I get an error

I tried putting PL80IMG in the root of my sd, it seems to flash correctly but it boots in white htc quietly brilliant screen. and flash boot.img for that rom.

I restore a rom via TWRP boots into white htc quietly brilliant screen.

and countless other things.
1. RUU won't work because it's 4.1.2 and you were on 4.2.2. The RUU has the HBoot in it and your device will not allow the HBoot to be downgraded because you are S-On. Only time you can use an RUU is if it is equivalent to 4.2.2 which one does not currently exist for us.

2. PL80IMG.zip's only work for those who are S-Off. Which is why it won't work for you.

3. When you restore your device using TWRP you ALSO have to rename boot.emmc.win to boot.img and flash it using fastboot:
Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
-- This is because, once again, you are S-On and cannot write to your boot partition EXCEPT using fastboot. You could using dumlock but to get dumlock initially set up for the first time would require your device to be able to load an OS so for you that is currently out of the question.

You must restore your device using a twrp backup, AND NOT REBOOT THE SYSTEM when it is done.

Instead, reboot the bootloader, and using fastboot, flash the boot.img which comes with the twrp backup as I just stated earlier.

Then you may reboot.

That will ALWAYS work, so if it fails, then this is an end user problem.