So as the title says. My S4 over heated. It's actually been happening for a while and the glass had begun separating from the digitizer over the last few months. A few day ago I awoke to a blotched out black screen that blacks out every so often.
I held off getting a replacement because I was rooted, loki'd on the MDK bootloader.
My replacement arrived today and it was the MK2 baseband. Upon start up VZW tried to push the OTA to me. i stopped it and postponed it to 6:00 AM eastern, MDK was easy, but I'm not familiar with this new process and had some questions. So using searches on XDA I have:
1) Rooted with Saferoot
2) Installed Wanam Xposed
3) Renamed SDM.apk & FWUpgrade.apk to .bak's to the update <-- was this right? I dont want to wake up to a voluntarily installed OTA.
1) Should I install SafeStrap, if so which version? I see there's an ATT version out there for upgrading to NC5, but there's also a MK2 version.
2) I see a lot up people were able to update to NC5 and keep root with Surge's method. Is there an advantage to this?
3) What's everyone doing for hotspot/tethering now on MK2 and up?
4) On MDK, most of the ROMs were debloated. What do I do to get rid of some of this VZW bloat on here.
Now I need help with the old phone.
Even though the other phone over-heated. I can just see VZW rejecting the exchange because I was rooted, Now with the screen being all black blotches and cutting out, I can't really return it to stock. The phone turns on, and works. I just cant see what's on the screen.
Is there a way for me to utilize my computer to unroot, return to stock recovery, and install a stock ROM all without being able to see the screen on the phone?
I don't want to delete my old Clockwork Mod nandroids from my SD card until I can return the old phone to stock.
Thanks for your help in advance.