Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,225 Members 53,499 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] VZW S4 overheated lost my MDK

Tip us?

ymDroid
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] VZW S4 overheated lost my MDK

Hey guys... I need some help.I have many questions.

So as the title says. My S4 over heated. It's actually been happening for a while and the glass had begun separating from the digitizer over the last few months. A few day ago I awoke to a blotched out black screen that blacks out every so often.

I held off getting a replacement because I was rooted, loki'd on the MDK bootloader.

My replacement arrived today and it was the MK2 baseband. Upon start up VZW tried to push the OTA to me. i stopped it and postponed it to 6:00 AM eastern, MDK was easy, but I'm not familiar with this new process and had some questions. So using searches on XDA I have:

1) Rooted with Saferoot
2) Installed Wanam Xposed
3) Renamed SDM.apk & FWUpgrade.apk to .bak's to the update <-- was this right? I dont want to wake up to a voluntarily installed OTA.

Questions

1) Should I install SafeStrap, if so which version? I see there's an ATT version out there for upgrading to NC5, but there's also a MK2 version.
2) I see a lot up people were able to update to NC5 and keep root with Surge's method. Is there an advantage to this?
3) What's everyone doing for hotspot/tethering now on MK2 and up?
4) On MDK, most of the ROMs were debloated. What do I do to get rid of some of this VZW bloat on here.

Now I need help with the old phone.

Even though the other phone over-heated. I can just see VZW rejecting the exchange because I was rooted, Now with the screen being all black blotches and cutting out, I can't really return it to stock. The phone turns on, and works. I just cant see what's on the screen.

Is there a way for me to utilize my computer to unroot, return to stock recovery, and install a stock ROM all without being able to see the screen on the phone?

I don't want to delete my old Clockwork Mod nandroids from my SD card until I can return the old phone to stock.

Thanks for your help in advance.

joshuabg
Old
Thanks Meter 269

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymDroid View Post
Hey guys... I need some help.I have many questions.

So as the title says. My S4 over heated. It's actually been happening for a while and the glass had begun separating from the digitizer over the last few months. A few day ago I awoke to a blotched out black screen that blacks out every so often.

I held off getting a replacement because I was rooted, loki'd on the MDK bootloader.

My replacement arrived today and it was the MK2 baseband. Upon start up VZW tried to push the OTA to me. i stopped it and postponed it to 6:00 AM eastern, MDK was easy, but I'm not familiar with this new process and had some questions. So using searches on XDA I have:

1) Rooted with Saferoot
2) Installed Wanam Xposed
3) Renamed SDM.apk & FWUpgrade.apk to .bak's to the update <-- was this right? I dont want to wake up to a voluntarily installed OTA.

Questions

1) Should I install SafeStrap, if so which version? I see there's an ATT version out there for upgrading to NC5, but there's also a MK2 version.
2) I see a lot up people were able to update to NC5 and keep root with Surge's method. Is there an advantage to this?
3) What's everyone doing for hotspot/tethering now on MK2 and up?
4) On MDK, most of the ROMs were debloated. What do I do to get rid of some of this VZW bloat on here.

Now I need help with the old phone.

Even though the other phone over-heated. I can just see VZW rejecting the exchange because I was rooted, Now with the screen being all black blotches and cutting out, I can't really return it to stock. The phone turns on, and works. I just cant see what's on the screen.

Is there a way for me to utilize my computer to unroot, return to stock recovery, and install a stock ROM all without being able to see the screen on the phone?

I don't want to delete my old Clockwork Mod nandroids from my SD card until I can return the old phone to stock.

Thanks for your help in advance.
1. Install Safestrap for your corresponding baseband. If you have mk2 then install safestrap for mk2.
2. If you upgrade to NC5 and keep root you can flash 4.4.2 touchwiz roms on the stock slot usingthe att 3.72 safestrap
3. For tethering you can use foxfi or you could use surges tethering unlock
4. You can debloat stuff by just disabling the apps you dont want.

For your old phone,
1. You should be able to get your data off of it by just connecting it to your computer then copying stuff from your old phone to your computer.
2. To reset it back to mdk stock, you should boot into odin mode doing the keypress when your phone is off, then after a few seconds press volume up to comfirm boot into odin mode. Then you should be able to odin mdk stock from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2751461

Best of Luck
If you find this post helful, Click the "Thanks" button, Or if you really like what I have done you can click the "Donate to Me" button.

My works

The Following User Says Thank You to joshuabg For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ymDroid
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuabg;52899257
2. To reset it back to mdk stock, you should boot into odin mode doing the keypress when your phone is off, then after a few seconds press volume up to comfirm boot into odin mode. Then you should be able to odin mdk stock from here: [url
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2751461[/url]

Best of Luck
THANK YOU.

Quick question. Does this odin MDK flash install the stock recovery back.

joshuabg
Old
Thanks Meter 269

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymDroid View Post
THANK YOU.

Quick question. Does this odin MDK flash install the stock recovery back.
It should, I think it goes over all partitions, boot, persdata, system, recovery, modem, etc.

Won't hurt to try.
If you find this post helful, Click the "Thanks" button, Or if you really like what I have done you can click the "Donate to Me" button.

My works

The Following User Says Thank You to joshuabg For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]